what are the IRS "must haves"?

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Posi has it perfectly stated. Slicks absorb load where drag radials are too stiff and the axel still loads up leading to wheel hop with hard launches which breaks shafts/diffs/sometimes even hubs come loose.

Slicks and a clutch slip will be fine or dr's with easy clutch slip, brace, bushings and flsc's. Good look man, the list I posted was in order as an continual/eventual build/goal check off list in order of importance.

If you start with brace, bushings, flsc's you'll be great for a whole and can move through the rest of the list as funds allow.

Biggest key to the drag strip is to remember its all fallible mechanical parts so go easy and avoid harsh inputs unless they are executed very precisely-especially powershifts and launching quickly.

Good luck!

myslowstang

Established Member
Skip the IRS Brackets. Personal experience.

OP if you want to race and not break anything get some big's n little's and let it eat with 28" slicks. The tall sidewall will soak up the hard launch and will also keep it from wheel hopping. Plenty of cars have went 10's with a bone stock IRS like this.

Get a brace or a diff cover it's a must a have. Same as full length subframe connectors as well.

Last if you're going to do bushings check out FTBR's kit. Best one out there.

Ok but I'll have to go with a 26" slick because my Cobra is slammed! I just ordered some full length SFC (from MM), and an IRS brace. I'll be keeping my eye out for a set of slicks.
Thanks a lot for you help guys!

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Weight transfer could make a 28" slick rub on launch; 26" should hook plenty well for ya upto around 650whp, then the 28" will do a bit better but your trap speed will be a little lower.

I went 28" (315/40/18) nt05r's (dr's) to have a hope of traction. I'm running mm coilovers with about a 2" drop and have not experiences rubbing yet but I am on stiff springs.

I still can spin to 75+ but with a careful launch I hook and book.

a6cd0eb0-85ee-edd4.jpg

a6cd0eb0-8613-7db9.jpg

a6cd0eb0-862b-2b8f.jpg

a6cd0eb0-8657-3b63.jpg

a6cd0eb0-866d-6987.jpg

Too much wider woulda given the waddy look, anything over 315 needs a careful wheel/tire/backspacing correlation otherwise it looks oddly puffy.

I've seen 335's pulled of really well but have also seen 295's on too offset of a rim look puffy as well; it's all in the rim.

Trying for some ccw (sp16a's?) mid summer. These rims I have are ruffs and are good but not really what I want to keep.

Close up
a6cd0eb0-8800-9f5b.jpg

a6cd0eb0-889a-fa87.jpg

(front sits an inch too high but I like peace of mind that my underside gear like exhaust, oil pan, control arms etc won't catch/scrape anywhere.)

Users who are viewing this thread