What are our harness options with the Recaro seats, harness bar? Pics please.

smokin03

Established Member
I am interested in getting some harnesses and I have the Recaro seats. There are so many on the market, looking for input on what works best for our car. I have also looked at the harness bar on the Shelby site. I am considering that as a option. MY goal is to run in some track events this summer and I know I need an upgrade over stock seat belts. Pic's would also be great. Thanks

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Here's mine. You will get a ton of people berating you for going with a harness bar and not a full roll bar, but this works for my uses perfectly. I don't use my sub-belt either, just the 4 upper ones, so "they" get to enjoy a second round of hissy fits from that as well. :coolman:

DSCF3819_zpsf25ce859.jpg

C0bra99

Established Member
Here's mine. You will get a ton of people berating you for going with a harness bar and not a full roll bar, but this works for my uses perfectly. I don't use my sub-belt either, just the 4 upper ones, so "they" get to enjoy a second round of hissy fits from that as well. :coolman:

DSCF3819_zpsf25ce859.jpg

Not so much of a hissy fit, but more of a safety concern.

smokin03

Established Member
What is the safety concern? is it considered less safe than using stock seat belts. I do not want a full roll cage, that's for sure. I do drive it, not every day, but want something more secure for the times I do track events. If there is a roll cage that doesn't tear up the back seat and I can get in and out of easily, maybe...

smokin03

Established Member
Whatever I get, I will still need to be able to put the seat back. At 6'1 275lb, it is much easier for me to put the seat all the way back to get in and out and adjust it forward when I get in. I will continue to investigate my best options.

got_h8rs?

Established Member

DSCF3819_zpsf25ce859.jpg

Looks Great!!

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Not so much of a hissy fit, but more of a safety concern.

Understood, though becomes a moot point when the perspective comes from an author who has exactly zero information on how/when the item is used. Not pointing at you, just a general observation about such comments in the past.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
What is the safety concern? is it considered less safe than using stock seat belts. I do not want a full roll cage, that's for sure. I do drive it, not every day, but want something more secure for the times I do track events. If there is a roll cage that doesn't tear up the back seat and I can get in and out of easily, maybe...

The safety issue surrounding a harness bar versus a roll bar is that when paired with a shoulder harness, the driver's head is not allowed to move out of the way in the event of a rollover with a harness bar. Factory belts are built to allow the head to be pushed to the side, thereby avoiding crushing the spine from a impact from above, or some similar injury. The safety issue with leaving the sub-belt disconnected is the potential for the driver to slide down beneath the lap belt instead of being held firmly in place by the 5th belt that runs between the legs.

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Whatever I get, I will still need to be able to put the seat back. At 6'1 275lb, it is much easier for me to put the seat all the way back to get in and out and adjust it forward when I get in. I will continue to investigate my best options.

That might be a deal-breaker for you then, not sure. I don't know how far you need to move the seat back in order to get in, so I can't say if it will be an issue for you or not. I know the bar limits how far the seat back can recline (but well below my needs for driving position), but I've never tried to push the entire seat back to see how far it goes. I can always check it if you needed to know.

With my setup you still have access to the rear seats AND you retain the use of the factory belts. You can therefore choose which belt type is most appropriate for a specific event. For example, I would use the factory belts for a Texas Mile event, and I might use the harness belts for something like a parking lot autocross event.

DSCF3801_zpsa9c49b05.jpg

DSCF3799_zps9acbebce.jpg

smokin03

Established Member
Got it, from the looks of it I think it could work for me. Even tho it is easier for me to push the seat all the way back to get in or out, I still adjust it about half way forward when in place. I don't have it tilted back any more than your pictures. I like the looks and it is far less expensive than going the roll cage route. Maybe someday I will make that step, but not today. I am going to order one and give it a try. Thanks for your input.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Got it, from the looks of it I think it could work for me. Even tho it is easier for me to push the seat all the way back to get in or out, I still adjust it about half way forward when in place. I don't have it tilted back any more than your pictures. I like the looks and it is far less expensive than going the roll cage route. Maybe someday I will make that step, but not today. I am going to order one and give it a try. Thanks for your input.

Best of luck. Another nice aspect is it's completely removable and everything can be put back to stock.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
From your post it sounds like you are a beginner on driving events. If that is the case, the stock recaros and belt will be fine. If you are wanting the "look", then go for it. However, as stated 4 point belts with no rollover protection is not a good combination.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread