What are my options? Please help!!

LateralFace

Established Member
here's the deal.

Last November I got a ticket for speeding, but I had it deferred through Thurston County. The condition is as long as I do not get any more tickets for a year, it will not show on my records.

September 9th I got into an accident that totaled the truck I had(Which leads me to my CSVT) and just a few days ago I got a ticket in the mail for the accident. There is no way I can contest it and win, so I sent it in as a mitigation.

I am wondering if it is possible to talk the judge into paying the ticket, without it going onto my record? What are my options? If one ticket goes on, then both go on.

Please help!!!!

oh by the way, the accident happened in Pierce County, so Thurston does not know about it yet.

sbro712

Established Member
Was the accident your fault? What was the ticket for?

Please give a liitle more info so we can help.

LateralFace

Established Member
Yeah it was my fault. It was the first day of rain, and I was entering onto the freeway. I started to accelerate before I finished the turn, and lost control. I hit a light pole and totalled my truck. No one else was involved. I feel really stupid, but anyway. I just got the ticket in the mail and sent it in with the mitigation box checked. The ticket was for "Speed too fast for conditions to avoid a collision." Revised Code of Washington 46.61.400.1

Just wondering what I can do from here to not have it go on my record. I have heard in some states that judges will allow you to pay the infraction in full and not put it on your record. Is this possible in Washington state? how would be the best way to present that to the judge? thanks guys!!!

LateralFace

Established Member
I just got my court date for November 14th. Since the other ticket was on the 27th will it have already dropped by the time this one goes on? Anybody?

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
Originally posted by LateralFace
I just got my court date for November 14th. Since the other ticket was on the 27th will it have already dropped by the time this one goes on? Anybody?

I'm thinking that you ask to get the court date postponed to a later date. Or if worse comes to worst, just don't show up and then ask for another date. In NY, you don't get any points or nothing until you are convicted of a crime, and if you don't show up, it's not a conviction, they'll give you another time for when you can be convicted. But if you were to have to go on the 14th, just talk to the officer, who will be there, explain your situation, and in most cases he'll give you a break. I've never heard of anyone who fought a ticket and wasn't cut any slack, unless they were real jerks about it when given the ticket, and that's when the cop writes "ND" (no deal). For something like that I'm thinking that it'll get reduced to a parking ticket or something of that nature. Good luck...

jays98cobra

Established Member
dont just not show up in court. if u do that with out calling a bench warrant will be issued for your arrest and your driving privaleges will be rovoked that day. do not just not show up with out calling and postponeing it or faxing a letter explaining a situation has come up and u are not able to attend. also u should have fought it no matter what. u would have gotten no points if u talked to the prosecutor. all courts want is money. and just cause one county didnt hear about something that happened in another county doesnt mean a thing. its going into the state DMV computer. once the dates hit the points come back. and a noticed is sent to u in the mail.

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
See, I don't know how it works in other states, but in NY if you don't show up, they don't issue warrants for small traffic infractions. I messed up the court date for contesting my speeding ticket once in upstate, and the court just reassigned me a new date without a problem, and I didn't incur any consequences. But yeah, getting in touch with the court before the date is the best way to go. And I also think that you should have contested the ticket and gotten yourself a lawyer. Getting a lawyer for one ticket I don't think is worth it (if for a small infraction), but this one ticket will count as 2 tickets, so you should've gotten a lawyer. But it's a bit too late for that now, anyway. Just my 2 pennies...

JClifton

Uhh it's stock!
Established Member
Originally posted by azgardia
They go based on time of infraction, not court date.

Not so. They go by the date that the case is filed as 'closed' by the judge. This allows for you to pleed your case and hopefully get things dropped... I should give this guy my lawyers number ;) Matt... wanna know her?!

-- Jaret

LateralFace

Established Member
Thanks for your help guys. I guess I wil have to try and postpone the date til mid December and hope that by the time the ticket hits my record, Thurston County will not be looking at my record anymore.

JClifton

Uhh it's stock!
Established Member
Originally posted by LateralFace
Thanks for your help guys. I guess I wil have to try and postpone the date til mid December and hope that by the time the ticket hits my record, Thurston County will not be looking at my record anymore.

Matt... how you figure? ;) Trusting that Passport a little to much I think! :D

-- Jaret

Lawman

Established Member
That is a really tough break. Almost off probationary period and the s@#t hits the fan. I would get an attorney, and hopefully he will know the traffic court judge.(Or he may know someone that does) Since it was a single vehicle accident ( and hopefully you weren't DWI/DUI) I would show up on your assigned court date, and make an attempt to speak with the LEO. You never know, you might get lucky.---Good luck!!

LateralFace

Established Member
Now a couple people have told me to speak to the trooper. But what am I supposed to say? Should I tell him about the other ticket? Does the LEO even have any say in getting the ticket dismissed? Why wouldn't postponing the trial be the best way to go, shouldn't Thurston County not be looking at my record anymore if it didn't go on until Dec/Jan? I think I am getting more confused!

Lawman

Established Member
What is the point in posponing the court date? You will eventually have to deal with it. I'd say, speak with the LEO, but do not volunteer any information. Here in N.O., a lot of cases are referred to the City Attorney's office. It is within this office that a compromise COULD( but not in all cases) be met, resulting in a reduced fine/"lesser" charge/or dismissal. Since you were involved in a motor vehicle accident, (albeit, a single car crash), it may complicate things a little, but it does not mean that nothing can be done about your situation-thats where an attorney could be useful.

Users who are viewing this thread