What amp to power Kicker 12" L7

holtsch

Established Member
with those dimensions he'd have a little over 3.5 net cubic feet (not counting the sub displacement...just the wood...assuming you use 3/4" mdf). You'd have plenty of room to have a sealed or ported box. After subtracting out the port volume that would leave you with a 2.95cf box. A tuning frequency of 33 hz would yield a 6" long by 6" high square port that is 25" deep (you'd have to make a turn since your box isn't deep enough to have it go straight). You can adjust the length and width of the port...but that will change the depth of the port in order to keep the same tuning frequency. Generally the smaller the port the shorter the depth. If you went with a 16 sq. in. port the depth would only have to be 10". You need to be careful about going so small though because of wind noise and other adverse affects it has on the sq.

PS....my last L7's were each in a 2.88 cf box (5.76 total) with a 36 sq in. port (72 total) tuned to 38 hz. It was very loud, but if I had it to do over again I would've tuned it a little lower, between 30 and 35.

Last edited:

Satyr

Established Member
I had planned to raise the floor a few inches, but am not quite sure about doing so after all. Here's a diagram of what the box Is going to look like form the side.

boxpic.gif

holtsch

Established Member
Are you leaning towards ported or sealed? That box looks pretty good. Will the left side of your picture be flush with the floor and the right side be raised up a few inches or were you going to raise everything?

Satyr

Established Member
left will be flush, right will be lifted about 3-4 inches out of the floor. leaning towards sealed, just because i dont have the knowledge to port

holtsch

Established Member
Porting a box sounds harder than what it is. The box looks good. Any dimensions on the box? Are you just going to go by kicker's box size recommendations (as far as how many cubic feet to make the box)?

holtsch

Established Member
Satyr said:
I had planned to raise the floor a few inches, but am not quite sure about doing so after all. Here's a diagram of what the box Is going to look like form the side.

boxpic.gif

For a 2 cf sealed box you could make the dimensions (following your picture)

Left: 12"
Right: 16.5"
Bottom: 19"
Top: 15.5"

And then the width would be 23"

Someone may want to double check my math though.

Satyr

Established Member
I just want to do a sealed i'm thinkin. Yeah, i had planned to use their box specs. thankkkkkkkkkkkkkkks

boostaholic

Mile High
Established Member
2 cf will sound great, what are you using for a head unit? I would recommend spending the money on good interconnects as well, makes a world of a difference :beer:

holtsch

Established Member
what made you decide to go with that shape of a box...why not just a simpler box..instead of having the right hand side slanted....why not have it straight? I guess it shouldn't be much of a problem, you'll just have to make 2 extra cuts.

Satyr

Established Member
I like the look of a tilted box. Personal preference, nothing more.

I'll be using a Kenwood Excelon DVD player (probably the DDX7015)
What is an interconnect...forgive my ignorance please lol

holtsch

Established Member
Hey....i just redid my math....those dimensions I gave would actually be a 2.5cf box. Change the width from 23" to 19" and it will give you a net 2cf box.

boostaholic

Mile High
Established Member
Satyr said:
I like the look of a tilted box. Personal preference, nothing more.

I'll be using a Kenwood Excelon DVD player (probably the DDX7015)
What is an interconnect...forgive my ignorance please lol
Interconnects=rca's. I use decent stingers (bullets or dream series), you don't have to place as much emphasis on the low end since there is less freq range but you don't want to use crap. Make sure they're shielded and run them away from any power wires...ground the hell out of everything too (sand down any paint, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread