What am I missing?

elyrain

Established Member
Pretty soon here I'll be swapping my 281ci shortblock for a teksid/kellog/manley .020 over stroker with 10:1cr.

I need some help thinking of things I either forgot or mods I should do while the motor is out. This is my list of parts I have and in my sig are my current mods:

Keep in mind I'll be reusing everything that is reusable from my engine now, all the stuff only has 20k on it, oil pump, gaskets, ect.

New shortblock
new head gaskets
new head bolts
39lb injectors
90mm maf
ford gt fuel pump
billetflow irs brace

Things I still need to buy:
components to time the cams.
sfi dampner
jbs shorties to replace the frpp (gotta stay legal :cuss:)
either psr or sullivan intake, this will be after the swap
kit to replace stripped header bolt
4v cam drive kit (new chains ect)
new plugs, fuel, oil, oil filter

I'm on the fence about a melling oil pump because 99% of the time it's driven pretty easily. And they are so damn expensive.

read my sig pls before you recommend all the little bolt ons that I already have. I attribute the low hp (337/345) to the restrictive intake and exhaust. I think I could easily make 350+ with a p/p'd intake and longtubes on my current setup. So I'll be looking at somewhere in the 370+ range or so with the new setup. on 91 fuel. thanks.

Last edited:

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
Pretty soon here I'll be swapping my 281ci shortblock for a teksid/kellog/manley .020 over stroker with 10:1cr.

I need some help thinking of things I either forgot or mods I should do while the motor is out. This is my list of parts I have and in my sig are my current mods:

Keep in mind I'll be reusing everything that is reusable from my engine now, all the stuff only has 20k on it, oil pump, gaskets, ect.

New shortblock
new head gaskets
new head bolts
39lb injectors
90mm maf
ford gt fuel pump Great pump, will need to modify the outlet to seal properly to the pump hat, keep the PPRV, it will not run w/o it.
billetflow irs brace

Things I still need to buy:
components to time the cams. Mod camponents $700
sfi dampner Yes
jbs shorties to replace the frpp (gotta stay legal :cuss:) Republic of Kalifornia for you...
either psr or sullivan intake, this will be after the swap If LT's are illegal how could a sullivan w/no egr provision? PSR would be the way to go
kit to replace stripped header bolt
4v cam drive kit (new chains ect) Your's only have 20K on it, you should be ok unless you want to spend $600 for new
new plugs, fuel, oil, oil filter Get break in oil additive and use inexpensive 5/30 oil

I'm on the fence about a melling oil pump because 99% of the time it's driven pretty easily. And they are so damn expensive. It'd be nice

read my sig pls before you recommend all the little bolt ons that I already have. I attribute the low hp (337/345) to the restrictive intake and exhaust. I think I could easily make 350+ with a p/p'd intake and longtubes on my current setup. So I'll be looking at somewhere in the 370+ range or so with the new setup. on 91 fuel. thanks.

Additional items to add are a billet timing wheel from Accufab P/N CTS for about $110 and a full windage tray from Canton about $90

This should be a fun build looking to hear more as you assemble it.

elyrain

Established Member
My chains are the only thing I didn't replace on my last build, with 80k on them, they need to go. I can run a sullivan intake and swap to the stocker for smog every two years, but I'm not changing l/t's every two years. I'll probably end up with a psr just because it's easier and cheaper.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
80K, I'd replace them too. What about the oil cooler? If your last motor puked a bunch of bearing or other material you'll need to replace that too.

My chains are the only thing I didn't replace on my last build, with 80k on them, they need to go. I can run a sullivan intake and swap to the stocker for smog every two years, but I'm not changing l/t's every two years. I'll probably end up with a psr just because it's easier and cheaper.

coolguy10786

Established Member
Keep in mind the billet trigger wheel will require the two piece crank gear for the timing chains.

+1 on the oil cooler. definitely replace it if your last motor blew.

elyrain

Established Member
current motor is fine, just an upgrade. I should probably get a new gasket for the oil cooler though, seeing as so many people have problems with them leaking. I don't see the purpose of a billet timing wheel. The stock one should be fine.

coolguy10786

Established Member
Im running a stocker without issue. Just letting you know you would need the early style two piece gear as well.

Users who are viewing this thread