What am I doing wrong -> TOB in contact w/ pressureplate

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
I just don't get this. I replaced my TOB earlier this year, and realized after I put everything back together that the clutch was slipping. Took it all apart again last Friday, and sure enough, the TOB was putting pressure on the pressure plate without any tension on the clutch cable. So I dropped the tranny, had a look at the release arm (I thought maybe it wasn't resting on the pivotball properly) put the tranny back in place, but then had to leave it. Now I go back to finish putting the car back together and I realize the TOB is still in contact with the pressureplate. I don't know what's wrong. I checked the pivot ball and it's firmly tightened down. Yet the arm is as far back as it can go and still pushing against the pressureplate. As I remember from other times I've worked on the car, there has always been a little bit of slack in the arm; I thought I could move it back and forth a bit when I had the transmission bolted back up to the engine. But I can't move it at all now. It's firmly held between the PP and the bellhousing. I'm wondering if perhaps my clutch could have worn to the point that the reduced material on the disk could be allowing the PP fingers to be reaching back that far. I don't know :shrug:

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
Do you have an adjustable cable and quadrant? It could just be out of adjustment.

97Stangv6

Distractions suck....
Established Member
Is it a ford TOB? The only other thing i can see it being is it's sliding off the pivot ball when you put back up. Try checking the little tabs on the back of the arm and make sure they are holding it tightly in place.

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
JustaGT said:
Do you have an adjustable cable and quadrant? It could just be out of adjustment.

I have a firewall adjuster and billet quadrant, but that doesn't enter into the scene here - the cable isn't attached to the arm yet. The only issue(s) is/are the TOB, clutch arm and pivot ball from what I can tell. :shrug:

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
97Stangv6 said:
Is it a ford TOB? The only other thing i can see it being is it's sliding off the pivot ball when you put back up. Try checking the little tabs on the back of the arm and make sure they are holding it tightly in place.

I had a ford TOB, but it was garbage - after being in the car only a short while, it started so squeek. When I took it out, I found there was a lot of lateral play in the bearing, which shouldn't be. The new one I have is not a ford bearing, but comparing the two, they are identical in every way, except that the new one doesn't move around. As for the arm moving off the pivot ball, I'm pretty sure it's staying in place, but I'll double check that tonight.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
we my clutch went in, we needed a shorter pivot ball, which i ordered from summit. but i think mine might be doing the same thing yours is doing. I just haven't had time to look at it. But its making all kinds of horrible racket. I'm afraid the shop that put it in forgot (or just didn't) do a lot of the things that should have been done.

97Stangv6

Distractions suck....
Established Member
Wylde Horses said:
I had a ford TOB, but it was garbage - after being in the car only a short while, it started so squeek. When I took it out, I found there was a lot of lateral play in the bearing, which shouldn't be. The new one I have is not a ford bearing, but comparing the two, they are identical in every way, except that the new one doesn't move around. As for the arm moving off the pivot ball, I'm pretty sure it's staying in place, but I'll double check that tonight.

A lot of places recomend the Ford TOB and i havent had any probems with it besides i crushed like 3 of them because something was wrong with a pressure plate. I would use the SPEC TOB or a Ford one. You may have just bought a bad TOB from Ford. Or your clutch may have been out of adjustment and was putting to much pressure on it. When i removed my old setup doing my engine swap the TOB in their was Ford that i had replaced and it did wobble. But it never made noises and worked fine when it was in the car. And i would power shift the car just about everyday.(Maybe thats why i blew the motor?? :thumbsup: )

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
Doug said:
we my clutch went in, we needed a shorter pivot ball, which i ordered from summit. but i think mine might be doing the same thing yours is doing. I just haven't had time to look at it. But its making all kinds of horrible racket. I'm afraid the shop that put it in forgot (or just didn't) do a lot of the things that should have been done.

I think a shorter pivot ball will be the only way to get some clearance, short of milling the TOB. I just had a look at summit's website. I found 3 different pivot balls there maufactured by lakewood. Do you remember which length you used? I'd prefer not to get one that is too short. :bash:

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
...Uhoh, I think I broke the doug - it's not spitting out answers like it should... :p

Seriously though, do you remember the length of the pivot ball you got?

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
my bad :D lol...i went out of town :D

I got LAK-15502 1.400" one. My car is making all kinds of racket now. I think the TOB is shot or something. But its making some racket.

sorry again for taking so long :(

Last edited:

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
I think i might have found out what all that racket is. I was polishing my Cobra R's today, and went to polish my chrome tailpipes and noticed that my pass side pipe was loose. I thought maybe it had just come off the hanger. Alas, somehow - the welds where it goes to the muffler broke off....

I don't know how the hell that happens...but sure enough...the welds were broke, allowing the pipe to move around....

Users who are viewing this thread