what all's needed for a pulley swap?

WMWNMWM

holy crap - i'm finding out that it's not just a $90 part!!

ok, so i'm finally going for a pulley swap but can't seem to locate a thread ANYWHERE that goes over what all is needed other than the pulley! so far i'm figguring:

1) pulley (of course)
2) pulley removal tool (to get the darn thing off)
3) snub-idler bracket and pulley (increase belt wrap for supercharger pulley)
4) belt (depending on idler/pulley size)

ok. i'm good that far. NOW i'm hearing i might need different things like:

throttle body?
mass-air?
MAFia? (don't know what this is)
BAP? (what the heck is this?)
3 MORE idler pulleys?
different fuel injectors?
and even different SPARK PLUGS! (c'mon, really!?!?)

of course, on top of all that, i understand that i'm gonna need a dyno-tune!

so, online-mustang-community, i'm at your mercy! WHAT ALL DO I NEED FOR THIS PULLEY SWAP!?!?

Last edited:

WMWNMWM

forgot to mention i'm an '03 cobra.

K&N FIPK
MAC off-road prochamber
Ford Racing exhaust
Diablo Sport Predator tune

looking to get a 2.80" upper pulley...

Last edited:

kratos2250

Established Member
Just get the pulley, removal tool, snub idler, belt, and of course dyno tune. You don't need any of the other stuff until you do a lower pulley and a port.

cbr repsol

Established Member
ok. i'm good that far. NOW i'm hearing i might need different things like:

throttle body?
mass-air?
MAFia? (don't know what this is)
BAP? (what the heck is this?)
3 MORE idler pulleys?
different fuel injectors?
and even different SPARK PLUGS! (c'mon, really!?!?)

For what you are trying to do a aftermarket throttle body,mass-air is not needed. A mafia plugs into the sensor on the air inlet after the filter (also not needed for only upper pulley). A "BAP" Boost a pump is used to give the fuel pumps more wattage. The 3 other idlers are not needed but sure look damn good. Your fuel injectors should be fine to 480-500rwhp. and spark plugs make sure they are gapped between .030-.035 I really hope this helps you, dont add a lower pulley without a blower port. It really creates a lot of heat which will cause you to make less power.

Good luck

Last edited:

WMWNMWM

ok - so i'll look at getting spark plugs as well. i've seen the NGK TR-6 ones recommended in other posts, are there others that should be recommended as well?

if i DO decide to upgrade fuel injectors (i'd want to upgrade to 62#, right?) - will fuel economy go down? what i'm really asking is if i'm using stock ones at, like, 100% or the upgraded ones at 60% - is there a difference in fuel consumption? i would't think so, b/c the engine needs a certain amount of fuel for the air getting shoved into it - wether it's through stock injectors or upgraded ones - it needs that EXACT ammount of fuel! or am i mistaken!?

i'm thinking that i would like to upgrade fuel injectors just so they are (1) around for any future upgrades, AND (2) so horsepower is not limited to my "maxed" out injectors... what do you guys think?

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm somewhat new to this, but have been researching these for nearly two years. IMO I would go with a different heat exchanger as well. More boost creates more heat, this should help cool things down.

Dans02gt

Established Member
Like said above if you are just planning on doing a smaller pulley your injectors are just fine. All you need are plugs, belt, idlers if you want, but i would recommend, and a tune. Make sure you gap the plugs correctly and not to stock specs. The NGK TR6 are good plugs. I have all of this on my 03 cobra and runs awsome.

Last edited:

mustangal

Established Member
Ok this might be a stupid question but is the factory plugs iridium(that last 100kmiles?) If so what is wrong with re gapping these? IF not...i should go NGK TR6 ..and how often would you swap them out?(maintenance) I do know with upper gap between 30-35..i think mine are at 33 W/2.93 upper and tune.

Users who are viewing this thread