WHAT A S****Y DAY!! need sum advise

306Stang

Established Member
what a GREAT day!!! first i drop my phone in the water while fishing and it's ruined. then coming back from getting sum dinner i get a ticket going 73 in a 35. YUP 38 OVER!!!

officer said i had to go to court and it was mandatory. exact words "when you're going that fast he (the judge) wants to know why you are going that fast on his streets . . . that's the speed limit on some interstates"

so for all you LEO's what is most likely going to happen?
*loose license?
*big fine (obviously)?
*etc.?

MAN THIS F***ING SUCKS :cuss:

G$!

Established Member
I think it depends on what exactly the officer sited you for. Was it just for speeding? or was it for exhibition of speed or wreckless driving?

hydroshutter

don't worry about it
Established Member
Get a lawyer get a lawyer get a lawyer.

Your lawyer can help you get it reduced. It also depends on your record though.

blackfox

Established Member
do NOT drive your car to court. lol
what i did was:
your lawyer will talk to the LEO and the prosecutor and hopefully/maybe cut a deal? judge ask did you do........
your plea: GUILTY.
he lectures you, well did for me
i was polite and thanked him for his understanding and GRACE to me, stated i learned my lesson. most of all, eat your pride and be polite.

edit: just re-read your post about the lawyer, try and get one, seriously. but if not, still go in and eat your pride, its hard but it might reward you-be honest too, and if its your first offense, i dunno? you might have an even better chance of a little leniency..(sp?)

Last edited:

306Stang

Established Member
well my record is clear so that will help be but i am ready to kiss lots of as just so it will be reduced. not worried about points, just the fine and the possibility of having a suspended license

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
306Stang said:
well my record is clear so that will help be but i am ready to kiss lots of as just so it will be reduced. not worried about points, just the fine and the possibility of having a suspended license

If they have traffic school in your area ask the judge for it. It will drop the ticket to a non-moving violation. That means NO POINTS and no increase in insurance $$$$. It also won't cost you for a lawyer. It worked for me.

speederdoc

Established Member
In Texas we have cheapo $50 lawyers that will take your case on short notice (same day even). Even that would be better than no lawyer imo.

Some prosecutors and/or judges will eat you alive without an attorney. They seem to view it as a disrespect issue. Not all are like that, but if you get stuck with such a "hangin' judge" you will wish you had someone who knows the ropes, lingo, and courtroom protocol there to guide and assist you.

Good luck and let us know how it went.

Lawman85

Banned
Anything over 30 is the largest fine you can get in Ga. Your fine will vary depending on who wrote the citation, county, city, or GSP. My 'guess' is well over $450. Jshen would know more about the punishments of that speed since he prosecutes them.

jshen

Established Member
Traffic Offenses

are either misdemeanor or felony, unless otherwise specified..The maximum fine for speeding in your case could be up to $1,000.00. If you're under 21, kiss your license goodbye as this is a 6 point violation...2 over the mandatory suspension for that age group. Your insurance will probably double over this.

The attorney option sounds better and better doesn't it. Mighty fine attorneys in your area...and with GA Southern...you can just imagine what the judge will do as they are pretty tough on college kids...I hope you're not in that group............as they frequent the traffic courts...

Was this a radar ticket?

Last edited:

97snake

Attorney at Law
Established Member
Save up some $$ and follow Jshen's advice. W/o an attorney you will basically jsut be going before the prosecutor and begging- which makes you no different then 90% of the other people there.

If you decide to go to court without a lawyer expect the judge to show you the same attitude/approach that the police officer gave you...but turn it up a notch or two. Also, unless you were bringing a dying person to a hospital no excuse will work so don't give one. You will have to rely on your clean driving history and distinguish yourself form the other teenagers and early 20 somethings that come before the judge all the time with similar offenses. Good luck doing that.

With that being said, the most prudent approach is to go out and get an attorney to represent you.

jshen

Established Member
Traffic School

306Stang said:
traffic school huh???

well i'm 23, almost 24
May save you some off fine and/or points. That is up to the judge. I pretty much gave you a worse case scenareo above...for reason. You can loose a lot. Being above the 21 age group may help. You didn't answer as to whether it is a radar case. If so, quite a few certified documents have to be presented to the court to lay a foundation for a radar's admission into evidence, but an officer's observations are admissible regardless. He would tesitfy as to his certfication, number of tickets written for speeding, number of times he's "confirmed" that speed through radar...Basically qualifying officer as a expert...Then officer can give opinion as to speed.

Good luck in whichever way you go.

COUNTRYGIRL

BUILT FORD TOUGH
Established Member
Driving School/traffic School Is Allowed Here. You Still Have To Pay A Fine About $150-$200. Then Pay For Traffic School.

306Stang

Established Member
just called the police dept. and they said the fine would be 650 but still needed to go to court. in court they would reduce the ticket and it would not go on insurance. maybe the court clerk just got laid but does that seem right?? not complaining but that sounded better than i expected.

when i talk to my g/f's friend that's a cop i'm going to explain to him about where he clocked me vs. where i saw him and where he pulled me over. this is VERY HARD to explain without knowing the area but he clocked me on one road then when i saw him he was going towards the direction of where he had clocked me. if i was able to draw a diagram it would explain it but all of my friends i've talked to (none are cops) including myself find it VERY difficult to clock me where he was then end facing the opposite way as i was coming.

jshen

Established Member
306Stang said:
just called the police dept. and they said the fine would be 650 but still needed to go to court. in court they would reduce the ticket and it would not go on insurance. maybe the court clerk just got laid but does that seem right?? not complaining but that sounded better than i expected.

when i talk to my g/f's friend that's a cop i'm going to explain to him about where he clocked me vs. where i saw him and where he pulled me over. this is VERY HARD to explain without knowing the area but he clocked me on one road then when i saw him he was going towards the direction of where he had clocked me. if i was able to draw a diagram it would explain it but all of my friends i've talked to (none are cops) including myself find it VERY difficult to clock me where he was then end facing the opposite way as i was coming.

Keep in mind the police don't fine you and they aren't responsible for notifiying your insurance. It's the judge. Usually courts don't notify insurance companies, they notify DMV and it's the DMV who makes it known. You should call the DMV and see if this is an offense [6pts] that would require them, through their administrative rules, to notify your insurance company. I know they're notified if license is suspended...but not sure of your scenearo though.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Keep in mind Jeff is a prosecuting attorney in the state of Georgia and deals with these cases every day. Take his advice/words as the gospel for GA.

Users who are viewing this thread