What a fun day!!! (Dodge detail story contined)

MarlboroMan

Established Member
As a few of you may have remembered from my previous post here...
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361120

I finally had time to finish the truck since I ordered the new Optimum products. I spent 6 hours today and didnt even get the front of the truck done yet with the Optimum Compound.

As you can see in my pics from the link posted above, I had some severe defects. I was hoping this Optimum would give me the cut I needed but I cant say that Im too impressed. I just cant find a medium for this stuff. It takes extremely too long too break down. It leaves hazing/micromarring, and it really doesnt remove the scratches I thought it would. I tried yellow/orange pads. I tried moderate pressure to just the pressure from the weight of the PC. I tried speed 5 and speed 6. I tried a pin drop size of polish to a dime size. Im pretty pissed off. I should have just stuck with the XMT and this would have been done and out of the way a week ago. The XMT seemed to do the same if not better.

Something else is this optimum is putting the whoop on my pads. Either its the polish or the heat from running it on speed 6. It clumps and hardens the pads. The biggest thing, which I think is from the speed, is that the polish powders up. Terribly bad. Doesnt matter if I mist it with detail spray or not. But the polish is still so wet its obvious its not ready to be removed. Ive tried to remove it early when it didnt look ready to be broken down and Ive tried to further broken down. It doesnt matter. It will haze. And it wont look much better. Just takes more of your time. And leave more marring.

I cant believe how long it takes to break down. The amount of time it takes is ridiculous. I worked on the hood alone for at least an hour and a half. That was one pass and maybe no more than a quarter amount of polish on the entire hood. Theres no way in hell Im using too much polish.

Either Im a rookie, my expectations are too high, or a PC just isnt going to cut it for this bad of scratches.

As of right now, Optimum gets a thumbs down from me. If anyone with as bad as paint as mine can use the same product combo and tools as me and make it look better, Ill retract my statement and admit Im a horrible detailer who doesnt know a thing about polishing.

Ill have the final detail pics NLT Tuesday. I didnt have my camera today so I couldnt take any.

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
A) Don't mist the pad with the Optimum, it will actually make it dust worse. Excess product useage also causes dusting.

B) Opt. COMPOUND is going to leave marring on black paint; thats why it must be followed with Opt. POLISH

C) Some of the deeper scratches you have are not going to come out via PC. There will still be some defects seen under the halogens.

D) Other than spreading the product, speed 6 is necessary at all times to get it to break down.

Shot you a PM as well.

Last edited:

MarlboroMan

Established Member
mblgjr said:
A) Don't mist the pad with the Optimum, it will actually make it dust worse. Excess product useage also causes dusting.

B) Opt. COMPOUND is going to leave marring on black paint; thats why it must be followed with Opt. POLISH

C) Some of the deeper scratches you have are not going to come out via PC. There will still be some defects seen under the halogens.

D) Other than spreading the product, speed 6 is necessary at all times to get it to break down.

Shot you a PM as well.

Im aware that misting the pad makes it dust up more. QD spray is thin based and always powders up almost instantly. But, as akward as it sounds it actually didnt seem to form as much dust when I sprayed some on before. I say this because working at that slow of rate and at those speeds on the PC, the polish alone seemed to get really packed and bonded in the pad. Making the pad after just a few short passes, really hard and difficult to work the polish in.

Also about your comment on OC leaving marring and it must be followed with OP. I neglected to mention that I tried a section on the hood with the OC then OP to see how well this product works. And I did it more than one time with several combinations of polish/pad/speed etc. So I tried the before and final to see how well this product works before I critiscize. Even though Im still working on compounding, that section alone I did on the hood with both OC/OP, I already know what the finished look will be.

Users who are viewing this thread