Whacked.

Silver 03 Cobra

I'm about the luckiest person in the world. Usually. I got layed off last year and came out smelling like a rose. But, trouble comes in threes and the last two weeks have been one of the worst stretches I have had in awhile. I posted a question last night looking for recommendations for a mid-pipe other than Bassani because I had ran over one of those straps they use on flatbed trailers that still had the reel hooked to it and it punched a hole in the crotch of my Bassani x-pipe. I have been wanting to ditch the Bassani anyway because it is just too thin and fragile. One of the recommendations was to get it welded but I wanted it to be a good weld so I could sell this pipe later. I'm relocating in a few weeks so I decided maybe trying to get it welded was a good option for now. I called Midas and they said to bring it down. It looked like the piece that hit the very center of the crotch was flat like someone had taken a large file and punched it and it pooched open about a .5" wide gap. The boy that welded it did one hell of a job. I can weld and I know on something that thin that was a tough job. It took him maybe 5-10 minutes. The manager called me up with the guy standing there and said he wouldn't charge me anything if I just made it right with the guy so I handed him a 20. I was pretty happy to get my good exhaust sound back. On the way home I thought I would swing into Best Buy and see if I could find a couple of good DVD's. Just as I swung into a lane heading down the parking lot...

448_p67801.jpg

448_p67802.jpg

448_p67803.jpg

I had just turned down one of the lanes. There was three cars on my left parked in a row. Just as I passed the one on the end I just caught the flash of something. When I looked it was too late. Bam. A Ford Ranger was cutting through the parking lot and t-boned me. It hit hard enough it jumped me over quite a bit. I got out and it was an older guy. I felt bad for us both. I couldn't even get mad. It looked like the guy really didn't need to have money pulled out of his pocket for something like this. He did make a mistake though. I called the police. The officer(lady cop) asked what happened other than the obvious and he said you can see what happened. I told her all I wanted was to get my car fixed and to not write the guy a ticket if it could be avoided since he was so honest. She said she wouldn't write a ticket but she was writing him at fault. She said it was improper to cut through the parking lot like that. She had me pull my car out of the lane. She left and then the guy in the Ranger. Just as I was backing out I be damned if here come some idiot flying down the same opened up parking spots and almost hit an Expedition coming up the lane on the other side. People are morons.

It shattered the window and I can only open the door from the inside and it will open only about a foot. I'm over six foot and I don't think I can get in from the driver's side. I came in from the passenger side when I left and I found out on the way home I could open the door using the handle on the interior. My hip is a little sore but I told them I didn't have any injuries. I almost needed my roll cage with the 17 inch ET Streets I just bought on the track because I was running too low of air pressure and almost lost it 3-4 times. Today the main hoop helped me a little. The door is up against it. Hell, it's a material thing. No big deal. Last week my beagle got attacked by a bull dog that broke his botton jaw and part of it had to be amputated. As soon as I catch that bastard in my yard he'll be sleeping with Luca Brazzi. It's cost me $600 so far to get my little buddy back to health so far. I got my helath and my family is fine so how can you complain.

The guy has State Farm. With the police report showing him at fault is there any reason I can't expect his insurance to not pay? I'd like to get a rental. The car will need a new door and fender. I can drive it but getting in and out will be hell and I'll have to put plastic over the window. It's embarrassing having people look at you. Other than that I'm doing darned fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

LCCOBRA

Established Member
Sorry to hear about this and best of luck getting everything fixed. Sounds like the guy was honest but people make mistakes and in parking lot's in general I noticed that people don't know how to drive and get very impatient just to find the closest parking spot to the door, and haha when I’m driving my cobra some people go fast and kind of get excited I guess and do a ricer fly by. Glad your ok !

Last edited:

Cottonmouth

Established Member
Oh man! Glad to hear that you are all right. I would keep track of what happens as although the guy seemed nice they can always try and pull some crap. You'll feel better once the car is in a shop getting worked on. It does sound like you are getting put through the ringer right now but that means shortly things ought to be going your way soon.

newcastle

glad you were not injured any more than the bruise. hope the repair job is perfect. that sucks about your dog, also.

Silver 03 Cobra

They say trouble comes in threes. I had been on a real good lucky streak after losing my job. I should have been playing the lottery.

As far as racing for a parking spot, we were as far from the store as you could get. There is a parallel road off the main road and then you turn into the parking lot. This guy was flying down the side of this road cutting through parking spots. He was flying. He knocked the crap out of me. I just can't believe someone would fly through cars like that cutting through lanes with blind spots. Then just before I pull out a woman does the same thing the Ranger did going the opposite direction. I know one thing, I have always been pretty carefull in parking lots looking out for idiots cutting lanes and excessive speed, but now when I'm driving through a lot I'll check for idiots cutting through just like looking both ways before you go through a traffic light even though you have the green.

What I'm worried is that his insurance wouldn't pay since it happened in a parking lot. Guess I'll find out Monday.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
State Farm shouldn't have a problem. I had the same thing happen to my son with the same insurance. They stepped right up...and didn't have a complaint when I took it to the most expensive (and best) shop in town. BUT! If they do, call your insurance company. Your car will get fixed and they will go after the guy and State Farm.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
Silver03Snake said:
They say trouble comes in threes. I had been on a real good lucky streak after losing my job. I should have been playing the lottery.

As far as racing for a parking spot, we were as far from the store as you could get. There is a parallel road off the main road and then you turn into the parking lot. This guy was flying down the side of this road cutting through parking spots. He was flying. He knocked the crap out of me. I just can't believe someone would fly through cars like that cutting through lanes with blind spots. Then just before I pull out a woman does the same thing the Ranger did going the opposite direction. I know one thing, I have always been pretty carefull in parking lots looking out for idiots cutting lanes and excessive speed, but now when I'm driving through a lot I'll check for idiots cutting through just like looking both ways before you go through a traffic light even though you have the green.

What I'm worried is that his insurance wouldn't pay since it happened in a parking lot. Guess I'll find out Monday.

Oh NO, they will pay, that is why the officer wrote the fault so that the insurance would have something to go by. I can't believe how well that car took that hit. Looks like easy damage to fix. Didin't appear to crease the roof or floor any. This is small stuff just get it fixed by a good shop.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Silver03Snake said:
There was three cars on my left parked in a row. Just as I passed the one on the end I just caught the flash of something. When I looked it was too late. Bam. A Ford Ranger was cutting through the parking lot and t-boned me.

Glad you're OK. Hopefully there is no frame damage on the Cobra.

People cut through the lanes in parking lots all the time around here. It's a friggin epidemic. I've lost count of how many times I've almost been T-boned in a parking lot because some moron cuts through the lanes. How stupid are people anyway?

Just a few weeks ago, some bitch came flying out from in between parked minivans without looking and almost nailed me. These idiots don't realize that they CAN'T SEE where they're going and others can't see you when they pull those manuvers.

Coyote 5.0

Member BED Racing
Established Member
I feel your pain. Driving my new 4 day old corvette and a guy rearends me. Luckly minor damage but needed repair(in the shop now) BUT the guy had State farm insurance and they are great. Taking care of repairs no problem and a rental car. You should have no problem. The guy who hit me was faulted in the police report and NOT issued a summons.

MaximumSVT

Embrace your fears
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm always telling my g/f to slow down in parking lots because of what happened to you. Now I can show her these pics. With my car, I park out in no-man's-land and try to avoid people like the guy in the Ranger if at all possible.

TXRDRNR

Never follow.
Established Member
State Farm will treat you right, I have dealt with them twice and they aer fast and fair! Glad to hear you are okay, take care of your little buddy too! Hope things start improving for you.

SeeDee

Established Member
I felt bad about your car. But being a dog owner, I can't imagine the pain of seeing ur dog in pain. Sorry to see ur car in that shape, but I am leaning towards ur dog getting better. Car is easy to fix. Good luck.

Silver 03 Cobra

addicted2boost said:
wow...seeing those pics of a crunched cobra gives me the chills

I've had my 03 since june of 2002 and I can't tell you how many times memebers on this board have posted pics of their bent 03 Cobras and I always felt bad and knew it could be me oneday. I remember the one guy that took his yellow 03 to the dealer and one of the shop guys gave it too much throttle pulling into the service department and t-bone a concrete pillar and smashed the front all to hell.

Silver 03 Cobra

SeeDee said:
I felt bad about your car. But being a dog owner, I can't imagine the pain of seeing ur dog in pain. Sorry to see ur car in that shape, but I am leaning towards ur dog getting better. Car is easy to fix. Good luck.

The little fella showed up here almost 8 years ago. I had worked 22 hours straight and when I got home in the morning he woke me up howling. I hollered at him but he just looked at me. He stayed behind my house for a few days. He was very shy. It took some coaxing but I was able to read his collar. It had a man's name and number. When I called it said the number had been disconnected. I called some area vets but nobody had any records. I knew when I started feeding him he was mine. Apparently this guy just beat the hell out of him. It took me a long time to even be able to pet him even though I was feeding him. He only trusts me. Nobody esle can get close to him. He will not even chase rabbits and I assume maybe that's why the owner abused him. He's just a timid little beagle. When I pull out a rifle or shotgun he trembles. He got stomped by a bull a few years ago and he lost a front leg. Now he has only half a lower bottom jaw. He came through it pretty well. He eats good and he makes me take him in the woods twice a day. That came out better than I thought it would.

Silver 03 Cobra

Thanks for the comments.

I went by and picked up the Police report. They had it written up pretty well with a diagram. They also had the man quoted that he hit me. I called State Farm and they told me to take it to his agent. They threw out the red carpet. They saw how hard it was for me to get out of it with the door only opening about 10 inches when I pulled up. They were waiting on me when I walked through the door since it was early. It's already at the shop and I have a rental. I figured it would have taken a week to get that far. The shop said they would have it ready mid-next week. It's getting a new door and fender. It turned out really well.

Users who are viewing this thread