wet floorboard/ heatercore problem?

6spd

Established Member
ok guys so heres my problem (sorry if this belongs somewhere else, i figured id get the best response here)

i notice the carpet behind my passenger seat getting reallly wet, i took apart the carpet once before already to vacuum it, and strangley i didnt think much of it till now since its back.

ive noticed that if i use the A/C, the water begins to build up.

i did some searching and tried to find solutions but the best i could do is source the problem to the heatercore from a previous thread i came across.

Can someone just break it down for me as to what or why this is happening, and what woudl it take to fix the problem.

thanks a ton, and sorry if its in the wrong spot, i figured id get teh best response here.

Silverstangs

Lord Silver ™
Established Member
6spd said:
ok guys so heres my problem (sorry if this belongs somewhere else, i figured id get the best response here)

i notice the carpet behind my passenger seat getting reallly wet, i took apart the carpet once before already to vacuum it, and strangley i didnt think much of it till now since its back.

i did some searching and tried to find solutions but the best i could do is source the problem to the heatercore from a previous thread i came across.

Can someone just break it down for me as to what or why this is happening, and what woudl it take to fix the problem.

thanks a ton, and sorry if its in the wrong spot, i figured id get teh best response here.

The heater core is just above the air blower that is located above the passenger feet. They do spring leaks because that metal weakens over time due to the temperature changes in the passenger compartment. Also that heater core also gets alot of pressure, especially at higher rpms. It will take a while to replace the heater core. If you do that, I also suggest you install a restricter in the inlet, in order to reduce the water pressure coming in to the heater core. The heater core basically give you your heat. There is a outlet tube that RARELY gets clogged. If you go from the engine side, you can see a short black nipple sticking out the passenger side of the firewall. You can basically stick a hanger up that hole. If it is clogged that will unclog it. Again very very very rare, matter of fact the only time I see that clogged is in my friends car... some wasps tried making a hive up in that hole.

6spd

Established Member
Silverstangs said:
The heater core is just above the air blower that is located above the passenger feet. They do spring leaks because that metal weakens over time due to the temperature changes in the passenger compartment. Also that heater core also gets alot of pressure, especially at higher rpms. It will take a while to replace the heater core. If you do that, I also suggest you install a restricter in the inlet, in order to reduce the water pressure coming in to the heater core. The heater core basically give you your heat. There is a outlet tube that RARELY gets clogged. If you go from the engine side, you can see a short black nipple sticking out the passenger side of the firewall. You can basically stick a hanger up that hole. If it is clogged that will unclog it. Again very very very rare, matter of fact the only time I see that clogged is in my friends car... some wasps tried making a hive up in that hole.

so i take it costs quite a bit of money to get someone to fix it?

i mean i need to do something, besides ripping apart my carpet and vacuuming the water out every week hahaha :bash:

Last edited:

LT1KILLER

dirt man
Established Member
If your heater core is leaking then the carpet in front of the pass seat will be wet just under the dash

6spd

Established Member
LT1KILLER said:
If your heater core is leaking then the carpet in front of the pass seat will be wet just under the dash

it is wet. the only thing is that it builds up and move to the back of the passenger seat, and thats when you can notice because it literally builds up a puddle.

The front is wet too but by touching the carpet in the front, you wouldnt be able to tell

LT1KILLER

dirt man
Established Member
Are you losing antifreeze out of the cooling system? You should be able to smell coolant inside the car if the heater core is leaking. I don't know how hard it is to change on the newer cars but I know the on fox bodies it is a helluva lotta work.

Silverstangs

Lord Silver ™
Established Member
LT1KILLER said:
Are you losing antifreeze out of the cooling system? You should be able to smell coolant inside the car if the heater core is leaking. I don't know how hard it is to change on the newer cars but I know the on fox bodies it is a helluva lotta work.

The new GOLD antifreeze does not have that sweet oder that the Green stuff has... And yes, it's a friggin job to do.

6spd

Established Member
LT1KILLER said:

hmm im almost 100% sure its only water. could it still be the heatercore if its just water?

Snake Tech

Established Member
sorry for my post, but I don't speak canadian

6spd said:

Are you guys really that incompetent? I mean, seriously, some of you should improve your reading comprehension. He told you exactly what the problem was in his first post. He runs the a/c and the water runs into the car...he said it's water, not coolant. The only thing it could possible be is that the a/c drain tube is clogged with debris and is backing up in the HVAC box and draining into the cabin. Just a little education for you non-technical types; the a/c drain tube runs through the firewall and comes out on the passenger side, just below the passenger side head.

FIX:

Jack the vehicle up on the passenger side, from the K member...put jack stands under car and make sure the E brake is on and place bricks behind the wheels on the ground.

Take a coat hanger and cut into a straight piece approx 6" long.

Crawl up under the passenger side of the car and locate the drain tube. It's below the where the exhaust manifold attaches to the head.

Insert the coat hanger into the drain tube and work it around like you're digging in some sweet poontang. Clear the debris and voila no more leaks inside the car...

If it doesn't last, take it to your local shop and have them blow air into your a/c drain tube to clean it out. If that doesn't work, you'll have to take the dash apart and clean it out manually.

There you go...thats my $.02... :banana:

6spd

Established Member
Snake Tech said:
Are you guys really that incompetent? I mean, seriously, some of you should improve your reading comprehension. He told you exactly what the problem was in his first post. He runs the a/c and the water runs into the car...he said it's water, not coolant. The only thing it could possible be is that the a/c drain tube is clogged with debris and is backing up in the HVAC box and draining into the cabin. Just a little education for you non-technical types; the a/c drain tube runs through the firewall and comes out on the passenger side, just below the passenger side head.

FIX:

Jack the vehicle up on the passenger side, from the K member...put jack stands under car and make sure the E brake is on and place bricks behind the wheels on the ground.

Crawl up under the passenger side of the car and locate the drain tube. It's below the where the exhaust manifold attaches to the head.

Insert the coat hanger into the drain tube and work it around like you're digging in some sweet poontang. Clear the debris and voila no more leaks inside the car...

If it doesn't last, take it to your local shop and have them blow air into your a/c drain tube to clean it out. If that doesn't work, you'll have to take the dash apart and clean it out manually.

and i thought this thread was going nowhere! Thank you very much for your help! ill give it try today.

LT1KILLER

dirt man
Established Member
Snake Tech said:

FIX:

I didn't read that part so cram it up your ass

Silverstangs

Lord Silver ™
Established Member
Snake Tech said:

FIX:

That's been mentioned already by me...but what do I know...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3873213&postcount=3

Users who are viewing this thread