Were the MM IRS bushings supposed to make a difference?

fakesnake.com

Established Member
I was hoping for a 90% improvement (wishfull thinking) and got more of a 10% improvement.

Still get big wheel hop but the car was moving quicker similar to a rock skipping accross the water.

ArkangelX3

Established Member
I Hope for more than a 10 percent improvement. I will be putting them on, with Subframes, so maybe it will be hard to tell the difference. On another note Fake: Have you got dyno results for your mid lengths, and have you tested for emmissions yet? Thanks

fakesnake.com

Established Member
ArkangelX3 ,

You should pick up about 20-25 RWHP with the headers. Haven't done smog test. Probably won't have to for a few more years. California usually give you a bye on your first round.

You cannot see those headers under the hood so I think I am ok on the visual test.

OverToad

Established Member
Not that it helps you FakeSnake, but I'm a big proponent of the AR anti-hop shocks.
I've been hiding my mods, but I'm pushing 470/470 at the rears. I gave OrigTxCobra a ride to show him what he's missing. While gunning it several times, the car never even thought about hopping. The sealer for me is the fact that I ride with them set at about 75% stiffness, so the car feels stock.
I know they are pricy, but I have no fear of losing my 1/2's because of hop (though they may end up in the trash for other reasons).

OverToad

Established Member
:dw: Wish I could help you there man. Rick or Hermann may be the only ones who can answer that.
I've read that you send out your stock Bil's to be worked over to fit with coilovers, so the question of the day would be why can't you do the same with the AR shocks?

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
fakesnake.com: I know what you mean. The car skips as opposed to hopping along. An improvement, nonetheless.

03DOHC

Established Member
Damn, I was hoping to hear that the MM bushings would seal the deal.

I installed the HBH/AR shocks and reduced my wheel hop some, but didn't cure it. My wheelhop is not as violent as it was before the shock install and for that I am happy. I was hoping the bushings would finalize it. I guess Joe was right on when he said the cure is to stop your tires from spinning. The caveat being you will find the next weak link.

03DOHC

Established Member
OverToad, since you spilled the beans what did you do to get 470/470?:-D

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
fakesnake,
What tires are you using? I see you have 19" wheels listed in your mods...
Do you think that may have something to do with the fact that you still have the hop?
I put the IRS bushings and Diff bushings in and together, with the 315 Nittos, I don't have any hop at all.

Best guess on my current HP level is around 475, give or take a few, so I'm in the ballpark with the rest of the guys as for the potential for hop. If you can find someone to switch with, try a different set of tires and maybe that will shed some light on the issue.

The only other suggestion is to add those 2 plates to the top of the IRS that go to the trunk. That should help too.

Dana

Last edited:

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by fakesnake.com
Could be my tires too. I don't think I have as much tread as the F1's. I'm running 295's.

I had some wheel hop with the MM/Steeda bushings and the '00R setup (springs/shocks/wheels/tires). I went back to the 17" wheel/tire setup and the wheel hop almost disappeared. I now have the coilover setup and it is gone for the most part. I think your problem is the 19" wheel/tire setup. The tires are not flexing enough (ultra-stiff sidewalls) to "bite" and therefore still causing some hop. The A/R shocks will help a great deal also but the tires will still play a major role.

OverToad

Established Member
OverToad, since you spilled the beans what did you do to get 470/470? :D
Billetflow idlers (2) 100mm (1) 92mm
DC "up"
Bassani 01 catback (03 tips) 03 X (cats)
AR custom chip

The day I dyno'd, I had on a 74.5" belt. I was still getting a less-than-acceptable amount of belt slip. I also only made two runs due to time constraints. First run I slipped so badly we threw the results out. Second run yielded 465rhp/468rtq. The Mustang guru believed a cooldown period would have easily hit into 470's. No biggie to me since I was still getting slip.
The tune is still a little lean, but the A/F was consistant. Possibly lean because of the DC, but that was a known factor when the chip was burned. No blame there, as that's the price you pay for mail-order chips :)

Since then, I've put on the TB and switched to a 74" belt, thanks to a good memory by Slythetove. Once the chip goes back and I add fuel, I will probably lose some rhp, but I should also gain rtq. Kinda dispells the myth that a DenseCharger's 6" filter can't take the workload, hehe. John is sending me a 7" Pro-M filter and some custom stuff so that it'll all fit. So barring some dress-up stuff for the engine bay (I've got one good surprise left) that'll be the end of the engine mods.
With the above listed, I think 470rhp/490rtq is reasonable to assume.

Users who are viewing this thread