Went to the Track With New mods, Raced ZR1

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Well I got the 3.31 gears and Dynatech driveshaft installed.... First of all, on the street, alot better improvement with the gears. Each gear is soooo much more usable. I don't feel like I am shifting every 2 seconds anymore which is a good thing. I had 3.73 gears in the car FYI. The driveshaft is great, no vibrations, no issues.

Now for the track. I expected that maybe my car would slow down a little from the gear swap, but then pick up a little from the driveshaft change. I think that is exactly what happened. If you take a look at the slip, the Car#448 run was before with 3.73 gears and stock driveshaft. It was a pretty clean run, little bit of traction problems but no rev limiter and all clean shifts. The Car #489 run was with the 3.31s and one piece drive shaft. It was not a clean run as I banged the rev limiter hard in first which obviously slowed me down, but still the MPH turned out to be a little better. I am sure there is still a mph or two left in it with a cleanly shifted pass without bangin the limiter. And.... the Car # 490 run is my buddy in his 2010 ZR1. Both of us are pretty traction limited obviously with street tires, but I was glad I outran him:beer:.

20120802_120413.jpg

Anyway, it's all kinda dumb trying to run cars like this, at this power level, at the dragstrip with street tires... but a good day of racing is always a hoot! BTW, would have ran more but got rained out, oh well.....

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Im sure there is more in it. iirc Jon went 124mph at 644whp. I didnt think a ZR1 would trap that low. I figured they would be in the mid 120's up here.

D.T.R

Established Member
Nice. Kind of cool how you have your slips to compare before and after with your mods.

I think that the little difference in ET that you see is due from a better launching on the 3.73 pass. Did you try launching at a higher RPM with the 3.31 to make up for the difference in the gear?

Also, there has to be something wrong with your buddy's ZR1... i thought they were rated at low 11s at 127 (average, some do better and some do slightly worse)

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Im sure there is more in it. iirc Jon went 124mph at 644whp. I didnt think a ZR1 would trap that low. I figured they would be in the mid 120's up here.

Yeah, hard to say with street tires.... Just can't get an accurate reading in....! BTW, my buddy is a driver.... He ran 12.4 @ 117 in a bone stock 2006 ZO6

Nice. Kind of cool how you have your slips to compare before and after with your mods.

I think that the little difference in ET that you see is due from a better launching on the 3.73 pass. Did you try launching at a higher RPM with the 3.31 to make up for the difference in the gear?

Also, there has to be something wrong with your buddy's ZR1... i thought they were rated at low 11s at 127 (average, some do better and some do slightly worse)

Oh no, anything more than an off idle start and the tires go up in smoke... Remember 9000ft DA here!

D.T.R

Established Member
Yeah, hard to say with street tires.... Just can't get an accurate reading in....! BTW, my buddy is a driver.... He ran 12.4 @ 117 in a bone stock 2006 ZO6

Oh no, anything more than an off idle start and the tires go up in smoke... Remember 9000ft DA here!

no wonder! that's some insane altitude bro...
how do you guys even push oxygen thru your lungs and stay alive? lmao

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
My cars race weight was 3940, and I'm 260... ZR1 was 3550 and he is 170, and 2013 GT500 was 4050 and he weighed 180

Scott, what did the GT500 run?

And yes, altitude sucks BAD up here. My stock 2013GT has ran a best of 13.7@104mph up here. Its a wonder the cars even start with our lack of air.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
I wonder if there's room in the Mt Evans parking lot for some 330' drags? 14k physical elevation, maybe a nice 18k DA?

Bud

Established Member
I wonder if there's room in the Mt Evans parking lot for some 330' drags? 14k physical elevation, maybe a nice 18k DA?

Rode my carb'd roadstar up there a few years back, ran like crap up top. Pretty fun to smoke a cig up there though, barely stays lit and makes for one heck of a buzz!

I think next year we should round up people for a Julesburg or even further east trip and get a taste of that free power the lower elevation people get.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
I ran a ZR1 on friday as well, ran a 12.5@124 to his 13.5@121, it was pretty nasty. had the gopro but it died before i ran him. my best that night was 11.98@124 and the DA was 3600 when i ran it. not nearly as bad as yours!

Users who are viewing this thread