went to start my built cobra last night

b00sted4v

Established Member
So last night I went to start up my cobra for the first time that I just finished building and the msd dis-4 started to smoke so I turned the key off and ended up having to rip it out as it was mounted in the engine bay. I was wondering what is the best msd to run as I am looking into purchasing another one. The reason it started to smoke I am thinking is because it got moisture/wet inside the box. My mods are:
-V1 SC trim blower
-31x12x3 fmic
-TurboXS RFL BOV
-VMP 75mm MAF tube
-255lph pump
-screamin demon coil packs
-live wires 9mm performance wires
-msd dis-4 digital ignition
-eaton posi with 373 gears
-31 spline mosers
-pro 5.0 shifter
-bassani x pipe no cats
-bassani catback
-bassani mid-length headers
-spec stage 3 clutch
-Accufab Single Blade Throttle Body
-Crower stage 3 sc cams
-manley .020 over pistons flat tops
-crower valve spring with steel retainers
-manley h beam connecting rods with 22mm pin
-ford racing high performance oil pump
-ford racing mustang oil pan
-60 lb injectors flow matched
-high performance 3 angle valve job
-polyurethane motor mounts
-built t-45 tranny (t-45 source)

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Just take it out all together and don't run it lol. My MSD box took a shit on my too.. You don't need it at all. IF you wanted to run something, run a boost-a-spark.

b00sted4v

Established Member
I purchased the car with the msd in it 3-4 years ago. Figured id keep it in there but maybe just save the 200-300 and rip it out. just have to figure out what to do with all the wiring, looking like there was a harness cut and attached with butt connectors

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea mine was the same way.. It's going to be a PITA.. But just take it all out man.. not worth the hassle.

b00sted4v

Established Member
There is the factory connector that is butted into the box connectors when I rip the box and everything out where does that facory connector plug back into..is not that long and didnt see another factory connector that it would get pluged back into

b00sted4v

Established Member
hmm yeah I am thinking might just be easier for me to spend the $240 and throw in a boost a spark because not sure where this factory connector goes. I would just drop it at the shop who is going to tune it but want to make sure running 100% before do so doesnt cost me tons of money while there

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
It shouldnt' be to bad.. If you un-install as per the directions it shouldn't be to bad I wouldnt' think

b00sted4v

Established Member
I can rip it all out in an hour but then I am just stuck with this factory connector that has to go somewhere the brain or where not sure. If I can find that out I will rip it all out tomorrow

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
What about the MSD instructions.. It would have to dictate atleast where it went it if it was cut for for the MSD you see what I'm saying?

b00sted4v

Established Member
why do you think you need msd or a BAS. you aren't running enough boost to need either IMO

I purchased the car with the msd in it, it smoked out. Now I am wanting to rip it out or replace it to avoid this wiring headache. I have no idea where the factory connector gets pluged back into. there was a gray connector that was pluggedinto the msd boxes harness. I rip out the msd box and the msd boxes harness goes with it, now where does that gray factory connector plug back into.

b00sted4v

Established Member
What about the MSD instructions.. It would have to dictate atleast where it went it if it was cut for for the MSD you see what I'm saying?

I have the gray factory connector, all they show is how to hook up into there msd box connector and whatnot. They do not show the original setup and where it was ran from.

Users who are viewing this thread