Went to pick up some stuff from the local parts store!

Hilander

Established Member
What is it with car parts places?

I go to Napa today with a sample cam bolt kit I purchased from them.

Me Two of these please reading out the part number on the kit.
Napa: It’s not coming up, we don’t have it.
Me: It’s for a Ford F-150 one of the most popular vehicles made.
Napa: What year
Me: 2000
Napa: Model
Me: F-150 with a smile
Me: It’s a Lightning, but it should not make any difference
Napa: 2 Wheel or 4 wheel drive
Me: 2….sigh
Napa: Nope we don’t have it
Me:Well I bought it here
Napa: Are you sure
Me: Yes!
Napa: hmmmm
Napa: Are you sure
Me: Yes
Napa: Walks off to talk to another guy
Napa: Comes back and looks up Suspension parts
Napa: Oh here it is
Me: Yup I need two
Napa: We only have one
Me: Oh
Me: Ok never mind
Me: I also want a set of NGK TR6 plugs
Napa: What for
Me: The F-150
Napa: Year
Me: It does not matter, just a set of NGKTR6 plugs
Napa: I need the part number
Me: I cant remember maybe 47 something
Napa: I need the whole number
Me: Forget it
Napa: Have a good day Sir

I then went to Carquest and picked up 2 sets of cam bolts and a set of TR6 plugs easy as pie.

00SVT

KB Powered
Established Member
Sounds like my Napa store as well. They could not find water if they fell out of a boat.

Side Note Don't expect help from Autozone employee's much less ones that know anything about cars and trucks.

I needed a fuse tap, the guy wanted to know what make and model it was for.

Last edited:

cthunder

Established Member
I gave up on NAPA long ago... I go through the same song and dance at every NAPA. One numbnut tried to tell me not to use colder plugs and that TR5's are the same as TR6's. I always tell them I have a 1999 Ford F150 Lightning and yes it's S/C'ed and they still ask me the same questions over and over.

Leeroy697

Established Member
I always like it when I needed pads or something for my car and I tell them 95 mustang GT and they ask me if it is a V8 or V6. I cant help but laugh a little everytime.

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
I usually just walk into autozone and jump on the computer and find what I need, and if needs to be pulled they pull it for me.

GtownMACH

smoke tires, not drugs
Established Member
carquest rules. napa, autozoned-out, and advanced are like goodwill in that they give tards jobs.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
I usually make out ok but if i need a bunch of stuff i usually call Chris. 1. he isnt stupid and 2. i like talkin to him.

ecoastkid

Established Member
I get most of my stuff from advanced because I can go to their website (Partsamerica.com) for most items and find the part number before I show up in the store...lol

castellscl

Established Member
I think it all depends on the area of the country you are are in. Out here in the desert of Cali, no one knows anything. NAPA, Vatozone, Carquest, Kragens, none of them have a clue.
Though, I do give one of the guys at Vatozone some credit, he actually know what my truck was.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
I am sometimes amazed by the people that work at all stores. I can also say you guys might just have shit luck. The guy you dealt with seemed pretty dumb to me. What you asked of him was easy. What # is on the 'sample' kit you showed them?

The other thing that needs to be said is the job isn't as easy as you think. If you could spend a couple days on the other side of the counter you might understand. We deal with hundreds of different car models that span 80+ years. Good counter help is almost impossible to find as well, trust me. Also just because YOU know about YOUR truck doesn't mean the guy on the other side of the counter is familiar with it. Lightning's make up less than 1% of the F150s made from 99-04, be happy about that. So if he asks 2 or 4 wheel drive, just answer the question and lose the attitude.

I find something funny about these threads. If I posted every time I dealt with an idiot customer, I'd have 40 new threads every day.

Hilander

Established Member
I am sometimes amazed by the people that work at all stores. I can also say you guys might just have shit luck. The guy you dealt with seemed pretty dumb to me. What you asked of him was easy. What # is on the 'sample' kit you showed them?

The other thing that needs to be said is the job isn't as easy as you think. If you could spend a couple days on the other side of the counter you might understand. We deal with hundreds of different car models that span 80+ years. Good counter help is almost impossible to find as well, trust me. Also just because YOU know about YOUR truck doesn't mean the guy on the other side of the counter is familiar with it. Lightning's make up less than 1% of the F150s made from 99-04, be happy about that. So if he asks 2 or 4 wheel drive, just answer the question and lose the attitude.

I find something funny about these threads. If I posted every time I dealt with an idiot customer, I'd have 40 new threads every day.

I bet you would Chris. I can understand it from your side of the counter too.

One thing I want to make clear. The guy serving me was in his late 50s. I did not give an attitude to him. No point in that at all. I posted not to poke fun at NAPA. I posted it as a light hearted experiance. Believe me If I wanted to post up my experiances with people I too could post everyday.

I know you do good work for NAPA and your customers I have dealt with you in the past.

Just not being able to buy NGK TR6 plugs seemed pretty dumb to me. The guy was just not willing to go beyond the direction the comp directed him in.

If anything he had an attitude with me when I suggested it seemed odd that they did not keep cam bolt kits for the F150 range of trucks odd. He stated No it's not we can't stock everything you know.

Users who are viewing this thread