Went to NED for the first time tonight and I'm confused

Nutfield

Fear Not - Genesis 15:1
Established Member
This was my first time at NED for Street Night (spectating only). Most of the cars were a lot slower than I thought they should have been. Cobras, Vettes and WRXs running 14s and 15s. Is this normal? I was expecting to see more high 12s and low 13s. Is this because they were using DOTs?

Fdawg97lx

Established Member
Nutfield said:
This was my first time at NED for Street Night (spectating only). Most of the cars were a lot slower than I thought they should have been. Cobras, Vettes and WRXs running 14s and 15s. Is this normal? I was expecting to see more high 12s and low 13s. Is this because they were using DOTs?

a 10 second car will run 15's without the right tire or the right driver. most cars up there will run slower than they should because they are not driven properly or becuase they just have no traction

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
street nights are tough, they do little track prep so its a not prime conditions to run your best times. Coupled with the fact there are a LOT of meat heads up there

Head up there on a saturday for a test and tune when they actually prep the track.....its more exspensive ( 28 vs 20 ) but youll be running much better times

Nutfield

Established Member
FromGTtoSVT said:
Head up there on a saturday for a test and tune when they actually prep the track.....its more exspensive ( 28 vs 20 ) but youll be running much better times
I work Saturdays so it would have to be a Wed. night. The HP calculator says that my car 'should' go 13.21 (300rwhp/3500lbs), so I figured 13.5s on street tires. After what I saw last night, I'm thinking 15.5s may be more realistic.:uh oh:

ponynx

Established Member
the issue is dyno numbers vs weight vs driver .........track is the first thing to get blamed but in reality its driver

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
yeah just like ponynx mentioned, that HP calculator is a bunch of crap in my opinion..it all comes down to the driver. I know of cars making less than 320hp running low 12's becuase of suspension......

i dont know much about your car, looks like you have a kb blower running 8lb's...i think mid 13's is reasonable considering your car is an LX. how's your 60ft? did yo know ever tenth you save on your 60 ft is two tenths at the other end of the track? There are so many variables when it comes to drag racing.

i have a 12 second car on paper, but becuase i suck at drag racing i doubt ill ever get a 12 second time slip!!! Just practice and you'll get there...

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
Friday night is usually much better for traction as they put traction
compound on the track Friday but not usually on Wednesday.
I call Wednesday night, "Slip and Slide" night.

gtmustang00

Established Member
ponynx said:
the issue is dyno numbers vs weight vs driver .........track is the first thing to get blamed but in reality its driver

pretty much what he said. it must be my driving dana, because my car and the cobra will not mph. ive tried powershifting and everything.

otoh, wednesday was horrible for track prep. i could only get a 12.4 at 113mph w/ a 2.0 60 foot.

gtmustang00

Established Member
i wasn't the only person who had no traction... i did a very long burnont after you left and still didn't do the trick.

Nutfield

Established Member
gtmustang00 said:
pretty much what he said. it must be my driving dana, because my car and the cobra will not mph. ive tried powershifting and everything.

otoh, wednesday was horrible for track prep. i could only get a 12.4 at 113mph w/ a 2.0 60 foot.
I think I remember your car. Was it light green (or teal)?
There definitely was a whole lot of tire spinning going on all night, and I can still smell the clutch smoke.:burnout:

luv2hiss

Transplanted again...
Established Member
Too long of a burnout defeats the purpose. If they get too hot they slip. You need to learn the happy medium of the burnout time, which is only found thru practice.

The other issue, as many have stated is the driver. If you short shift or shift too far into the power band you lose major numbers on your E.T. If you have had your car dyno'd you need to look at the A/F mixture when it is at it's prime/peak and what RPM it corresponds to. That is the magic number you need to remember to shift at. If you shift after that on the RPM band you are actually losing power and slowing down your E.T.

Track prep helps, but knowing your car is the biggest part of the job.

gtmustang00

Established Member
Nutfield said:
I think I remember your car. Was it light green (or teal)?
There definitely was a whole lot of tire spinning going on all night, and I can still smell the clutch smoke.:burnout:

no, i was in my fathers redfire 03 cobra. my 89 is white w/ blue stripes.

Users who are viewing this thread