Went to Dyno Day

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
why in 3rd gear?

Steeda dyno's our auto's in 3rd gear also..
I want to avoid the down shifting that stresses the tranny..
There is no 1 to 1 on these trannys..4th gear is closer to 1 to 1 but that although closer and more acurate ,,requires downshifting that also gets erratic tqe numbers...so as long as i pull in 3rd the numbers will show if any mod i make improves or not useing the same metrics.....

nocobrafornow

Established Member
when i had my car dyno'd the other day he locked it in 4th and it didn't downshift. i was just curious though, oh and great numbers makes mine look week.

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
when i had my car dyno'd the other day he locked it in 4th and it didn't downshift. i was just curious though, oh and great numbers makes mine look week.

The dyno operater has done cars that locked up in 4th,,He had trouble getting mine to locked up..Mine is a early model,,I don't know if that makes any differance..
I do know that i don't want that up and down shifting that is defintly hard on the tranny...

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
you can lock the car in fourth via the tune. Usually hasn't been a problem, im thinking maybe your converter was interfering possibly.

nocobrafornow

Established Member
Jim i wasn't trying to give you a hard time i was just curious. now with you saying it is an early model do you think maybe the tsb for the solenoid issue would help? i don't if lock up is part of or not.

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Jim i wasn't trying to give you a hard time i was just curious. now with you saying it is an early model do you think maybe the tsb for the solenoid issue would help? i don't if lock up is part of or not.

No Problem and thank's for your input....I am interested in why my car has this problem..I wish someone would clarify this....I was not aware of this solenoid issue...TSB..
I do know there are other cars like mine,that have also been dynoed in 3rd gear..for all the same reason.....

scotmach

Established Member
Yes he did ..Joey the tunner there has kept my car and tune updated ...

Joey is the owner also correct? If so he is the one I bought my 2.2 KB kit off for my Mach 1 years ago. The kit I believe that was going on your Mach 1 that you ended up trading in for a Roush before it ever got installed.

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Joey is the owner also correct? If so he is the one I bought my 2.2 KB kit off for my Mach 1 years ago. The kit I believe that was going on your Mach 1 that you ended up trading in for a Roush before it ever got installed.

2 Joe's there/.. Joe the Owner and another Joe the tunner,,,Yes i decided to stay n/a with my Mach1...It ran 11 60's...
I think You made the right decision.... I am staying n/a with the Coyote also,,atleast with the stock shortblock...:burnout:

Rick@Amazon

SVT God
Established Member
Nice numbers Jimmy. I had the same problem with a couple autos right after the cars came out. You should be able to get an updated flash from ford. Put it back to stock and let them flash it. If the stratagy changes just have Joey convert your tune you did on the dyno to the new statagy. This has work in the early auto cars I've done. The fourth gear and converter lock then worked. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Nice numbers Jimmy. I had the same problem with a couple autos right after the cars came out. You should be able to get an updated flash from ford. Put it back to stock and let them flash it. If the stratagy changes just have Joey convert your tune you did on the dyno to the new statagy. This has work in the early auto cars I've done. The fourth gear and converter lock then worked. Hope this helps.

Thank's Rick... :beer: I'll give this info to Joey @ MM

Users who are viewing this thread