Went through my first MT82

IT-Purrrs

Established Member
I just took the car to the dealer because in the past weeks the car has been grinding pretty bad in 5th gear. Thankfully I left the drive train completely stock at 16k miles and I left the X4 and the offroad X-pipe in the garage for a little longer after I bought them.

Mostly through the cars life I have noticed that the car just does not want to go into gear at high rpm's. When I am going full throttle and I put the clutch all the way down and try to do a quick shift into 3-4-5 gears it just does not want to go into gear and I either have to put the clutch down quick or try to force it into gear which I think has effectively done the transmission in.

I did some searches but who all has had problems like this with their MT82 or already gone through 1 trans, and is the best fix for this going to be an aftermarket shifter?

Either way it is shitty to have to go through this at 16k miles and to have a car from the factory not be able to handle the power this car can put down. The dealer has already said they are going to have to do a full rebuild on the trans or get a complete replacement for it.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
A good shifter will help, what they really need is a better clutch. I have a MGW shifter and still get locked out of third sometimes. My next step will be a McLeod RST or RXT clutch and lightened flywheel.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Put a mcleod twin disk in the car. I've done, clutch line, shifter, 2 different single disk clutches, after market clutch fluid reservoir, new transmission and a blowfish braket. The only thing that made the car shift right above 7000 rpms was the twin disk clutch. Plus the driving experiance and feel of the shifter is much improved.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Hey oldbones, how is the twin disk for daily driving, stop and go traffic and all that stuff?

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
A good shifter will help, what they really need is a better clutch. I have a MGW shifter and still get locked out of third sometimes. My next step will be a McLeod RST or RXT clutch and lightened flywheel.

A good shifter won't help. I had mine go out at about 70k miles with a Barton on it. Then I had it back for a week, went out again. Got it back after putting a new clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate in. Guess what? Still grinds 5th. Still whines. I'm really debating on putting it back to stock and trading it for a 2015 auto car. Wish Ford would go 0% 72 months on 2014's, but I doubt that'll happen.

Mine broke the 2nd time because it locked out at high RPM and it completely ****ed the pressure plate. After the Exedy Mach 500, car will take high RPM shifts all day long and hasn't had any issues at all. Helper spring is also out, and I love how it feels. So much better than stock in any way possible.

Last edited:

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member
Hey oldbones, how is the twin disk for daily driving, stop and go traffic and all that stuff?

I know you didn't ask me but I figured I'd add to your question since I put in a RST twin disk as well.
I'm sure other will agree when I say the pedal feel/effort is lighter than stock. It makes for a very easy on the leg traffic driving situation.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member

It's as good or better then stock. Mine doesn't chatter or make any noise. The pedal is light as stock and the shifts are butter smooth. My only regret is that I didn't buy one sooner.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
It's as good or better then stock. Mine doesn't chatter or make any noise. The pedal is light as stock and the shifts are butter smooth. My only regret is that I didn't buy one sooner.

That's cool, I'm thinking that's my next upgrade. Did either you or Tron84 change the flywheel?

hand-filer

Established Member
RXT or RST? I'm wrestling with this choice right now.

Put a mcleod twin disk in the car. I've done, clutch line, shifter, 2 different single disk clutches, after market clutch fluid reservoir, new transmission and a blowfish braket. The only thing that made the car shift right above 7000 rpms was the twin disk clutch. Plus the driving experiance and feel of the shifter is much improved.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
RXT or RST? I'm wrestling with this choice right now.

I have a RXT, but for my hp level I'd rather have the rst. I worry about fragging something with this strong of a clutch. The RST is a bit easier on components.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Clutch is my next endeavor. I had major issues with the 2-3 shift being either locked out or just plain missing. I bought the MGW shifter after reading all the rave reviews about it, and it was little more than a $300 disappointment to me. I then added the blowfish bracket which improved the situation, but it still happens. These days, I have a 50-50 chance of hitting high rpm 2-3 shifts. And when I miss it's about 90% miss and 10% into 5th. I never had any issue like this with a T5 or Tremec, so it isn't driver ability. I'm contemplating the Mach 500, or maybe even the Fidanza that AM is blowing out on clearance. I'm not running anything other than basic bolt ons so a $1000 clutch isn't really anything I have a need for.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Clutch is my next endeavor. I had major issues with the 2-3 shift being either locked out or just plain missing. I bought the MGW shifter after reading all the rave reviews about it, and it was little more than a $300 disappointment to me. I then added the blowfish bracket which improved the situation, but it still happens. These days, I have a 50-50 chance of hitting high rpm 2-3 shifts. And when I miss it's about 90% miss and 10% into 5th. I never had any issue like this with a T5 or Tremec, so it isn't driver ability. I'm contemplating the Mach 500, or maybe even the Fidanza that AM is blowing out on clearance. I'm not running anything other than basic bolt ons so a $1000 clutch isn't really anything I have a need for.

Test and see if your clutch is dragging. Set your neutral rev limiter to your highest rpms. On a flat surface hold the clutch in and bring the rpms up, if the car creeps forward then your clutch is dragging. Also, if you drag race a lot and launch stay away from the exedy mach 1. I blew the disk up with-in a couple of months, if your in the market for a spec 3+ i have one with about 3000 miles on it and about 10 track passes. There is nothing wrong with it. I pulled it to try a twin disk that I got a killer deal on.

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member
That's cool, I'm thinking that's my next upgrade. Did either you or Tron84 change the flywheel?

Yes, you will want to use the McLeod flywheel. The stock flywheel is sized different so that it doesn't use the entire disk area of the RST or RXT.

The only downside is the added noise. Might is probably a little worse cuz of the MGW shifter and hard tranny and motor mounts

hand-filer

Established Member
I have a RXT, but for my hp level I'd rather have the rst. I worry about fragging something with this strong of a clutch. The RST is a bit easier on components.

Okay thanks. I'm at close to 600 whp but don't really abuse or track the car. I'm thinking I might go with the RST. I'm relying on the tires to keep things from fragging. They don't really start to hook up until 4th gear.

Baysixx

Established Member

this. honestly the mt82 and stock clutch work perfectly for shifts under 6700rpm. Switched to McLeod and all of my high rpm shifting problems went away like lockout, or spongey clutch. And I still use the stock shifter. On my 2nd mt82 now with the clutch installed from the beginning. no problems at all and i actually prefer the daily driving with the twin disk and mt82

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Yes, you will want to use the McLeod flywheel. The stock flywheel is sized different so that it doesn't use the entire disk area of the RST or RXT.

The only downside is the added noise. Might is probably a little worse cuz of the MGW shifter and hard tranny and motor mounts

Alright thanks for the advice.

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member
this. honestly the mt82 and stock clutch work perfectly for shifts under 6700rpm. Switched to McLeod and all of my high rpm shifting problems went away like lockout, or spongey clutch. And I still use the stock shifter. On my 2nd mt82 now with the clutch installed from the beginning. no problems at all and i actually prefer the daily driving with the twin disk and mt82

I'll 2nd this. After I installed the RST I have not had a single high rpm shifting issue. With the stock clutch I had the pedal stuck to the floor issue.

IT-Purrrs

Established Member
Thanks all! Damn it sounds like the clutch is the real problem here. I have had the lockout problems multiple times at 6500 to 7k rpm's. For now I think I am just going to do the Barton shifter and hope things get better. I dont really have the cash to put into a clutch and flywheel right now.

bodon

Established Member
Can't believe the many problems people have with the MT-82. Crappy tranz. Yet Fords 6R80 automatic is one of the best transmissions out there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread