Went from o/r h to catted x... big loss of power?

GreenSnake

Established Member
I put on a Bassani catted x pipe fri. I can feel an improvement from 1-3k, but after that it falls on its face. with the o/r it was the exact opposite. It is really cold here so maybe IMRC's are sticking? Any suggestions? Oh it is really quite with LM1's and a catted x in case you guys wanted to know haha

anakyn

Established Member
Subscribing

Did the same switch, the car feels a lot smoother in accelerations and when I downshift, everything seems so ''linear''. Can't say much about power, but I kinda notice a drop in performance, but still it could be the fact that it doesn't sound the same... You know, like your girlfriend complaining about fast driving while you're just doing 70 mph and the car (o/r) sounds like you're doing 90...

Nolacobra

Deep souf giggle
Established Member
A few things . . A. when it comes to cats and no cats unless your car has some form of forced induc your not going to see a BIG diff on the dyno chart, granted u may feel a diff because if your down 10 rwhp through the entire rpm range then the car will just act diffrent.

As far as suggestions . . Lt's from BBK into a BBK o/r X pipe with dumps (thats what i run and its the BEST ! lol ) :rockon:

GreenSnake

Established Member
haha I put a catted pipe on for a reason. It makes sense that you feel the difference when you don't have that much power. The rpm's don't pull as hard as they did stock though. It was normal right after I put it on, but today the car is sluggish. Maybe it's just having a bad

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
I've always wondered how some guys can notice anything in such a little difference in power.

Possibly something got screwed up in the process. When I made the switch I didn't notice a thing. Keep us posted on the outcome.

Nolacobra

Deep souf giggle
Established Member
haha I put a catted pipe on for a reason. It makes sense that you feel the difference when you don't have that much power. The rpm's don't pull as hard as they did stock though. It was normal right after I put it on, but today the car is sluggish. Maybe it's just having a bad

buy it flowers these cars are just like bitches ! lol :beer:

uofipilot

Established Member
Hey GreenSnake,

Let me know if you're looking to sell the o/r h. I've been looking for a used on and havne't seen one up for sale in a while. I don't want a new one because I'm not sure I'll like the increased noise or smell. (I'm sure I'll LOVE the sound, but not sure about the noise). Thanks.

And about the power loss, it might just be psychological. However, I guess it would make sense that with cats, you get a bit more back pressure, which would help out low end torque, which our engines are desperately lacking. Then, as you get into the higher rpms, the back pressure starts to work against you, as the engine is making more power. And then flip that around for the O/R pipe, and it makes sense.

milktasd2

Established Member
My car felt faster with the catted X than with the o/r h. Felt like it had more bottom end with the H and more top end with the X. And that is also with BBk Lts

GreenSnake

Established Member
buy it flowers these cars are just like bitches ! lol :beer:
Haha what about some Royal Purple?

uofipilot- I'm debating putting the o/r h back on. The catted x isn't my thing, and I am just re-registering my car in Georgia hopefully. If I ever sell my car and I still have the h pipe, I'll send you a pm.

I think it might have been something acting up due to the cold weather because the car is working fine now. It revs like it did before. Now I just don't go deaf at wot anymore.

uofipilot

Established Member
Hoe it works out for ya. I don't think I want the h anymore though, so no worries. I was gonna dump a bunch of money into it this winter, but I think I might just sell it in the spring and get an 03 or 04. Who knows, so right now, I'm not gonna dump anymore cash into it.

Users who are viewing this thread