went from 3rd to 2nd accidentally at high rpm

astippich

Established Member
I was trying to shift from 3rd to 4th and accidentally shifted to 2nd. I was at about 6200 rpm in third when I shifted. Only let the clutch out for a split second before I realized my mistake. Don't know how high it revved and I don't know where my fuel shutoff is set. What damage is possible from doing this? Did I get away without damage if car drives fine now?

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I don't even think mine will let me shift into 2nd when going at 6200 rpms in 3rd...don't wanna try either...did your car buck like no other:shrug:
subscribing

Red3

Established Member
guy who tuned my car has one at his shop right now cuz someone went from 3rd to 2nd at the strip. his car was fine for a couple days. but now it isnt. i saw the internals and it wasnt pretty. not tryin to scare u or anything but u might not be in the clear

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I was trying to shift from 3rd to 4th and accidentally shifted to 2nd. I was at about 6200 rpm in third when I shifted. Only let the clutch out for a split second before I realized my mistake. Don't know how high it revved and I don't know where my fuel shutoff is set. What damage is possible from doing this? Did I get away without damage if car drives fine now?

I did the same exact thing about 40K miles ago.. didn't hurt anything at all.. but DAMN was the supercharger LOUD... the tach was pointing almost straight down, not sure what RPM it was at, but it was HIGH..

astippich

Established Member
guy who tuned my car has one at his shop right now cuz someone went from 3rd to 2nd at the strip. his car was fine for a couple days. but now it isnt. i saw the internals and it wasnt pretty. not tryin to scare u or anything but u might not be in the clear
Did he bend a rod or what?

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Done it before. Car bucked hard, but I jammed the clutch back in immediately. Was awhile ago, haven't had any problems since. I could definately see how someone could lose control of the car and ball it up though when that shit happens. Not something to do on the regular thats for sure.

Wikkd03

Established Member
I did the same exact thing about 40K miles ago.. didn't hurt anything at all.. but DAMN was the supercharger LOUD... the tach was pointing almost straight down, not sure what RPM it was at, but it was HIGH..

it didnt hit the rev limiter?

orange_whiner

Pro-class stoplight racer
Established Member
I don't even think mine will let me shift into 2nd when going at 6200 rpms in 3rd...don't wanna try either...did your car buck like no other:shrug:
subscribing

Yes, it will!! I was at the track and went to shift in 4th and hit 2nd, It bucked and spun the tires, and I pushed the clutch in.:nonono:

orange_whiner

Pro-class stoplight racer
Established Member

I did the same thing, and I would say I did no damage. :shrug:Mine is a daily driver as well with 74k+

TrickStang37

Established Member

My friend did the same thing in his LS1. The car went a couple days without a hitch and then the engine gave out without warning.

lilb_svt

Established Member
been there done that... not fun is it? Happened to me first time to the track in my car. Never happened again and car is still running strong.
My buddy has done it as well in his ls1 and ls2 with no problems. I was in someones cobra not to long ago when the mgw shifter handle shifted right in the middle on a shift and well the wheels locked up and we almost lost it.

Chas

Established Member
I've did it twice a couple years ago and pushed the clutch right back in before hitting the gas, you know what you did as soon as you pop the clutch. I missed 4th at the strip once and pegged the tach. Last summer at the strip I shoved it into reverse instead of 3rd and revved it to 7k and got right out of it. I thought the clutch was just shot and slipping but when I got back to the pits everyone told me my reverse lights came on :bash: thats when I knew what really happened :xpl: but the clutch still holds good at 36k miles and haven't had any problems so I wouldn't worry unless its making any new noises.

Stroked03

Mobile paint works
Established Member
That happened to me glad to kow I'm not the only one who did this idiot error, My rear wheels locked up and i almost lost itscary stuff there.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
it didnt hit the rev limiter?

it cant, you are mechanically spinning the motor at a higher speed. The rev limiter can only work for limiting acceleration. No matter how much the ECU tries it cant change the fact the engine that went from spinning at 6k is now spinning at well around 12k rpm as the driver downshifts into 2nd instead of 4th.

id change the oil and have it sent out to that lab for testing (Blackstone or something?) just to be safe, but you are likely in the fine if you saved it before fully engaging.

TrickStang37

Established Member
it cant, you are mechanically spinning the motor at a higher speed. The rev limiter can only work for limiting acceleration. No matter how much the ECU tries it cant change the fact the engine that went from spinning at 6k is now spinning at well around 12k rpm as the driver downshifts into 2nd instead of 4th.

id change the oil and have it sent out to that lab for testing (Blackstone or something?) just to be safe, but you are likely in the fine if you saved it before fully engaging.
it probably ONLY hit 10,000-11,000 rpm.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
it probably ONLY hit 10,000-11,000 rpm.

eh give or take. you would have to figure in transmission gearing, final gearing and tire sizes and relative speed to figure. I didnt want to go that far, simple 6K+6K sounded good enough to me. Its 12:30am my time, leave me alone!

he probably didnt even hit that, if he caught it before he fully engaged the clutch, the clutch was still grabbing and the motor was just taching up when he realized and dropped the clutch back in and saved it. luckily this also means that without the clutch fully engaged yet, there wasnt much load on the motor, some of it was likely transferred. and his head probably hit the steering wheel as what felt like a boat anchor just got dropped at hich speeds. ive been in it before on a awd dsm, and you arent gonna get all 4 to lock up when you mis-shift into 2nd, so you basically faceplant the dashboard.

Last edited:

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
redline in forth going for fifth, put it into third with no problem, when i let out the clutch what a suprise, at least tires didnt lock up but the rev was pretty hairy, shit my pants and put it in forth and went again, no problems here

TrickStang37

Established Member
eh give or take. you would have to figure in transmission gearing, final gearing and tire sizes and relative speed to figure. I didnt want to go that far, simple 6K+6K sounded good enough to me. Its 12:30am my time, leave me alone!

he probably didnt even hit that, if he caught it before he fully engaged the clutch, the clutch was still grabbing and the motor was just taching up when he realized and dropped the clutch back in and saved it. luckily this also means that without the clutch fully engaged yet, there wasnt much load on the motor, some of it was likely transferred. and his head probably hit the steering wheel as what felt like a boat anchor just got dropped at hich speeds. ive been in it before on a awd dsm, and you arent gonna get all 4 to lock up when you mis-shift into 2nd, so you basically faceplant the dashboard.
im jus joshin.

SVT_4_me

Established Member
Last summer at the strip I shoved it into reverse instead of 3rd and revved it to 7k and got right out of it. I thought the clutch was just shot and slipping but when I got back to the pits everyone told me my reverse lights came on :bash: thats when I knew what really happened :xpl:

how in the hell did you get reverse instead of 3rd? you would have to try pretty hard to do that...

Users who are viewing this thread