Well that was dumb

iliveanddie

Established Member
Gave myself a scare and an ah that was a dumb move today.

So was driving the car after giving her a wash when next thing I know the wheel falls off the car. Long story short last time I changed the tire was using a different air gun and couldn't find the extension for my wrench. I thought the air gun psi was high enough put the tire lugnuts on tight enough and didn't think to grab the wrench from the back of the car. Well turns out the lugs weren't on tight enough.

Usually anytime I use an air wrench (which isn't often) on the lug nuts I only use it to remove the lug nuts and ALWAYS(minus this time) tighten the lugs by hand to not strip the lugs and make sure they are on tight enough. Whelp one time of overconfidence with an airgun to do some damage.

Long story short my baby will need new a new rotor, lugs, and wheel studs for the back and most likely a new rim. :fm: Still fuming at myself for not following my own personal rules.

Feel free to post up your own personal ah dumb moments and or just stop by and laugh.:cuss::cuss:

Last edited:

iliveanddie

Established Member
I think it was more of being unfamiliar with that gun and not asking questions to make sure it was set to put them on tight enough. The old saying of assumptions make an a** out of you and me.

Last edited:

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
about 10 years ago i tried to start a car with no battery in it...

i was doing a lot of work to it and it was about 2am and wanted to see if it would crank. well i was looking around and even got under the car to see if i had left the starter wire loose. needless to say when i was on the ground looking up i see an empty battery tray....

no battery in the car FTMFL

long story short it started up after battery was installed :D

Blueline

Established Member
Hey man shit happens, just be glad you werent hurt, someone else on the road wasnt hurt and the car had only minor damage.

moot09

Established Member
That sucks! At least it wasn't on the interstate or at higher speeds. I remember seeing a Nissan Sentra lose it's wheel pulling into a local cruise spot.

iliveanddie

Established Member
oh man, how embarrassing!! lol

Very. Funny thing is I am in Navy Flight training and called my dad to tell him about it and he has started referring to me as Lugnut....

Also yes very nice no one else was hurt(minus the pride) and only minor damage to my car.

Last edited:

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I was hauling a John Deere 450C track loader when I was young. Probably 18 - 20 years old. We were hauling it from where dad was building the new house up to where we were living at the time. I did my safety precheck. Tires all aired to 100 psi. Red Devils tight. Chains tight. Brakes on, on the loader. Bucket teeth hooked inside of front of trailer. Dump truck tires air up. So on and so on. Well I pull out. I get about 3/4 of a mile up the road and I looked over and seen a tire go rolling by in the other lane passing us. I looked over at dad and said, "Wonder where that came from?" He said off the trailer son, off the trailer. Needless to say I had to pull over in a friends driveway and go running up the road to get the tire and walk/roll it back. Needless to say I double checked the lug nuts every time after that.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
I never use an air gun on wheels for this reason. If you tighten them by hand, you know they are tight.

Users who are viewing this thread