Well...just a 2005 Acura TL.

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
So I was driving home from my girlfriends house this afternoon and decided to take a quick loop and see if anyone was out playing around since its Sunday.

I was on my way back to my house on this 2-lane highway and I came to a stop behind a brand new Acura TL and in the other lane at the line was an Acura 3.5RL.

I thought nothing of it obviously.. Ahead lay a dead as an arrow straightaway lasting about 1.5 miles long followed by a light and then a merge onto 25a and then i would be home in less than 2 minutes.

Usually...i pull U-turns at this light and can usually get up to about 150mph before slowing down.

...Well...light turns green and the guy in the Acura TL peels out hard and takes off like a bat outa hell....i was still not moving yet. I started out easy and looked over at the other Acura and saw the guy motioning for me to go get him. So I did.

I short shifted into 2nd and spun bad but got traction within 2 seconds and was off. The guy already had like a 15 carlength lead on me no joke. I was WOT tho and shifting hard.

By 100mph i was reeling him in hard...and I BLEW past him at about 140mph ...i would say he was at about 125ish when i past him hard. I kept going to about 155ish and he was about 10-12 back when i had to get on the brakes and start dshifting.

The light turned red up ahead and the quickly green before i came to a stop and he was coming up behind me hard...so i dropped the clutch and spun from about 10-30mph while upshifting into 2nd and i was off about 10 cars on him again.

He stayed behind me after that...until i turned off to get gas and go home.

Wonder what he was thinking???? nonetheless...he took of pretty quick (270hp is nice in those things)

But he got a heck of a lead and a heck of a beating!

O well...i was looking for a vette or a 911 or a camaro or whatever...but this will have to do for today.

Last edited:

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Nice kill man, had a bad handicap and still blew his doors off! :thumbsup:
I wish I had a car that fast. :whine:

The BigSHO

Established Member
The Acura guy is crazy to pick a fight with you Terminator Cobras...

I test drove a 03 Cobra last year. Short shifting it at 3K would beat my 92 SHO. The SHO is almost a match for the MTX TL and probably a match for the ATX TL.

The TL guy needs to match his races better.

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
LOL...yea maybe he thought it was a reg mustang gt or mach 1 or whatever....im just suprised he kept trying to come at me after i passed him at over 140mph and he saw "Cobra" on my back bumper.

some people just never learn...either that or he just wanted to see me run.

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
90_red_lx said:
Nice kill man, had a bad handicap and still blew his doors off! :thumbsup:
I wish I had a car that fast. :whine:

Believe it or not alot of people don't even know the power of a Cobra. Some just see a "Muscular Mustang" and try their luck.

Peace

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
04TRCobra said:
LOL...yea maybe he thought it was a reg mustang gt or mach 1 or whatever....im just suprised he kept trying to come at me after i passed him at over 140mph and he saw "Cobra" on my back bumper.

Your right about that some people can't tell the difference between a Cobra, Mach, etc.. Even when some see "COBRA" on the back they still don't know the difference.

Peace

Fn'sh!t^

93svt 4 me !!
Established Member
TORNATIC!! said:
Believe it or not alot of people don't even know the power of a Cobra. Some just see a "Muscular Mustang" and try their luck.

Peace

Well speaking from someone who has gotten mustangs and camaros to race my car even though I knew I would be on the losing end,( except some of those stock fox bodies) does it ever occur to people that they just wanted to see, well in this case, a cobra get on it and see it in action??

It seems they get put down here for picking a losing fight, so to speak.

Hell, if I pulled up to a terminator, I would wanna see that thing haul ass.

Granted alot of people are not all that knowledgable when it comes to cars....

Anyway good kill :)

Sapperstang

Established Member
04TRCobra said:

So your saying he would of beat a Mach?

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Yeah, I get these guys all the time trying to race me. It's those newer, strange looking Acura family sedans with the little red "S" after their name.

Usually beat them while accelerating normally. :shrug:

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
Fn'sh!t^ said:
Well speaking from someone who has gotten mustangs and camaros to race my car even though I knew I would be on the losing end,( except some of those stock fox bodies) does it ever occur to people that they just wanted to see, well in this case, a cobra get on it and see it in action??

It seems they get put down here for picking a losing fight, so to speak.

Hell, if I pulled up to a terminator, I would wanna see that thing haul ass.

Granted alot of people are not all that knowledgable when it comes to cars....

Anyway good kill :)

I hear ya and am usually willing to oblige folks like yourself. :-D

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
Sapperstang said:
So your saying he would of beat a Mach?

Did i say that????? I dont think so...read before you get your panties in a twist..(i see you own a mach 1)

But believe it or not....i bet from a dig...that car would hold its own with an average gt or mach 1 (stock of course)...the new TL is a solid 14.0 car with very capable midrange and top end. so if the average driver in the mach 1 or gt spins off the line...the TL would get a nice jump...from a roll it would be closer...the TL has a nice midrange. I think it would take a stock GT (2004 and older)

the dude was already at 125-130 when i passed him. granted he had one hell of a lead...but he def. hit over 100mph faster than my old WRX did. and the WRX would beat a stock GT.

fre

Established Member
04TRCobra said:
Did i say that????? I dont think so...read before you get your panties in a twist..(i see you own a mach 1)

But believe it or not....i bet from a dig...that car would hold its own with an average gt or mach 1 (stock of course)...the new TL is a solid 14.0 car with very capable midrange and top end. so if the average driver in the mach 1 or gt spins off the line...the TL would get a nice jump...from a roll it would be closer...the TL has a nice midrange. I think it would take a stock GT (2004 and older)

the dude was already at 125-130 when i passed him. granted he had one hell of a lead...but he def. hit over 100mph faster than my old WRX did. and the WRX would beat a stock GT.

Was your wrx stock? Just curious.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
I cannot tell you how many times an import has flown up to my back quarter panel, put on his brakes, stay'd there for a second and then just slipped slowly in line with traffic. In talking to people, most of them could fill a book concerning what "they think they know" about a Cobra, in comparison to a GT. I have had a kid coming around with an Acura he is dying to run against the "Stang"...as he calls it. Once I told him..."that's not a GT, it's a Cobra...you know that right?" His response was to roll his eyes and say, "Oh, like there is even a difference." Complete cluelessness. This is a kid who is an active street racer and knows more about street cars than most. I think that, one...the Cobra name means high performance lots of people talk themselves out of the race based on the name alone or, the far end of the spectrum, people think a Cobra is just a GT with a different air dam and hood. Like I said, you could fill a book with what even clued in car people think they know about Cobras. The vast majority of the people I have talked to about the car either WAY overestimate or WAY underestimate what it can do. :shrug:

Last edited:

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
fre said:
Was your wrx stock? Just curious.

it was for the 1st 6 months...then i added up and downpipes, catback, intake, BOV, reflash...and sold it 2 months later for the 04 Cobra!!

Stock it could beat Mustang GT's in the 1/4 (mostly street races) only took it to the track once...ran a 14.2 @ 96mph when stock. (227hp)

Then i ran a 13.59 @ 102mph when i modded it to the above parts. (305-310hp at the crank...about 240-245whp for the WRX) loses alot because of the AWD.

When it was modded...i could hang with Mach 1's on the street from a dig to about 100mph and beat them in the twisties obviously.

Evo Enthusiast

Established Member
Sounds like you got SMOKED... then did a ricer flyby at 125mph.. after he let off for safety. Nice death. Dude you got smoked by an Acura?!? hahahaha.

The BigSHO

Established Member
I think the Acura TL is a beautiful sport sedan. I think the MTXs are more like mid 14 second cars. The ATXs are 15 second cars.

I don't think the TL would beat a newer GT or especially the Mach 1.

I think my 13 year old SHO could beat an ATX version. It would probably lose to the MTX version but the SHO wouldn't get destroyed.

The SHO is a slug off the line, but pulls reasonably through mid/high range...

Users who are viewing this thread