well its here finaly...

Blown306

Established Member
Cool :coolman:

Can't wait to see it...I know how it goes trying to get a car ready for a show...remember our regional convention last year? Shut down because of a broken stupid power steering return line fitting.

Oh well, take you time and do it right. C-ya Friday or Saturday in B-town...

VicRattlehead

NMRA M/M 7270
Established Member
well "started" it up tonight, and it kinda starts but it seems like the starter is hanging up, the gear isnt retracting back, and its just clanking around on the flexplate, sounds horibble, so took it out put power to it on the bench, it will extend and retract but its not spinning when its out of the car?? i dunno, taking to poopboys tomorrow to have it checked out.

VicRattlehead

NMRA M/M 7270
Established Member
well starter is fine, its actually the bolts that are molded into the TC housing are hitting against the inspection plate and not sure what else. so im going to try grinding down the excess bolt part that stickes through the nut. what a PITA, i just hope its worth it in the end.

Blown306

Established Member
Hmmm...double check you have everything on correctly, and that the flex plate is not on backwards (if that's even possible). The TC studs should only protrude about 3/16ths beyond the nut or less...also make sure the TC is pushed all the way over the input shaft...there should be 2 'clicks' to get it seated properly. That part is critical!

VicRattlehead

NMRA M/M 7270
Established Member
Originally posted by Blown306
Hmmm...double check you have everything on correctly, and that the flex plate is not on backwards (if that's even possible). The TC studs should only protrude about 3/16ths beyond the nut or less...also make sure the TC is pushed all the way over the input shaft...there should be 2 'clicks' to get it seated properly. That part is critical!

well tow truck is comming to get it tomorrow. got everything together and start it up and it does not go into gear,talked with the family mechanic and he thinks the same thing you said jeff and what jerry said to me in an email, the converter is not seated all the way in. he said with this trans there should be 3 'clicks' hell if i remember if we even got 1 click out of it. so after thinking about it, to drop the trans theres kinda alot of work to do it, and with my schedual i do not have time to do it (school 4days a week+homework, work 6days a week @ 2different jobs) and plus its starting to get fall like outside and only being home after it gets dark i figured id send it out and have it done. we managed to get it running, so i feel like we actually accomplished something, but this has become a slightly more complex situation than i want to tackle. so off it goes. hes a trusted guy, right now he has a '56 tbird, '65 mustang, 70's vette, '69 camaro plus regular daily cars im not sure what all he has there. he rebuilt the 455 motor in my brothers cutlass hes done work on our '66 bird. hopefully by the weekend he should know whats up with it and by next week it should be back to me. at this point i just want the darn thing back and runnning.

VicRattlehead

NMRA M/M 7270
Established Member
Originally posted by 66dvlbrd68
Hey Vic

Hope all is going alright w/ your swap. ever get those torque converter bolts in order??

you gonna do a write up on this in the end??

well, read above.

yes ill do a write up on it in the end. its in progress already.

Blown306

Established Member
It's a common problem...when I did my engine swap I didn't have to deal with it because I left the trans and TC in the car. Just had to make sure I didn't pull out the TC when I seperated the engine from the trans ;-)

Good luck, with a lift and a trans jack in a lighted/heated shop, it shouldn't be too big of a deal, especially because everything has been freshly r&r'd.

VicRattlehead

NMRA M/M 7270
Established Member
Originally posted by 66dvlbrd68
sorry...

i'll pay more attention when i read next time..
:read:

oh no not meant like that, i just posted and then responded to what you said secondly. sorry. but yea thats whats up with it, im a little dissapointed i couldnt get it done by myself, it would have been nice to to be able to say "yea did it all myself in the driveway, with the help of a couple friends" but oh well. at this point i just want to get it back so i can 'drive' it.

66dvlbrd68

Established Member
Originally posted by VicRattlehead
oh no not meant like that, i just posted and then responded to what you said secondly. sorry. but yea thats whats up with it, im a little dissapointed i couldnt get it done by myself, it would have been nice to to be able to say "yea did it all myself in the driveway, with the help of a couple friends" but oh well. at this point i just want to get it back so i can 'drive' it.

i STILL need to pay more attention when i read.:)

hey...you did ALMOST all of it. that's a problem that is hard to diagnose. Even if you were able to do it, you have massive time constraints.

you're 90% there....

it'll all be worth it when you're lighting up the rears ...and some rice as well...:rolling:

VicRattlehead

NMRA M/M 7270
Established Member
update, no pressure in the trans sooo trans is comming out on monday and off to the trans shop either mon or tuesday. he said hopefully by friday i should have the car back

Users who are viewing this thread