Well I'm back...

wannacobra

Future Job...
Established Member
Thanks to all of you guys that wished me good luckwhen I told you that I was going into the Coast Guard, but, it seems that they don't like to take people that volunteer to join a service... Those of you that are in the military know about MEPS, those of you that don't it is the processing station that you have to go through to get into your specific branch. Well, I went up to MEPS in 4/04 and I was at 192 because my recruiter told me that I had to be at 195, or atleast that was my top weight. So I went up to MEPS and they told me no, you have to be at or under 181, so I was like ok...
So I went back up in 6/04 and I was at 176, so you can't tell me that I am not committed to doing this and everything was peachy... Until I got to Cape May and they told me that I had to be at 175 and I weighed in at 176 again so I thought that I was ok, right??? Nope, on Friday 21JAN05 I got an uncharacterized discharge for being, get this ONE POUND OVER.
So tell me that ain't some bullsh!t... So now I got my recruiter bustin' his ass to get me back in in the 2 weeks or I'm going with the civilian route...

Needless to say I am a little pissed at the military right now...

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
man do they want little skinny guys running around? glad to see we have guys like you though.
good luck
chiz

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
They didn't measure you??? There is a body fat percentage you have to meet if your over weight.

I have experience with 'weight problems' in the military. While in the Marine Corps I went in at 175lbs at 5'8" I was at my maximum. 2-3 years in I was at about 190. So I got measured (they measure around your neck and around your belly button) and have some forumla. Depending on who measured me I was 16-18%. IIRC, 18% is the maximum. Needless to say, I was put on what I called 'fat boy platoon' and 'lost' my weight within a month.

I got out April '01. Moved to DC and put on more weight ~225. I got recalled April '03 an was 5'8" and 225lbs. When I got to Lejeune that was my first question to S3 was about my weight....and they didn't care!!!

Its very irratating knowing that I have two bad records in my SRB for this, and when I was recalled they didn't care!
ampstang said:
You should have just taken a dump and come back to weigh again.

wannacobra

Future Job...
Established Member
Thanks guys, they did do a body fat percentage and i was at 26% and the most i could have been at was 23%. So they sent me home and encouraged me to come back when I could (when i lost the pound). So now I'm home and I have my recruiter busting his ass so that I can go back in in a couple of weeks. I told him too, if I can't get back in in the next month that I'm not coming back, so hopefully he'll get off of his ass and do it.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
thought coast guard did a body frame measurement via the diameter of your wrist knobs...

Last edited:

OZ Dude

Going Crazy Down Under!
Established Member
Man if you weren't so pissed that'd be just down right funny. I'm not poking at you :poke: by any means. Why didn't they just turn you out onto the oval and have you run a couple dozen laps. The fluid loss alone would have put you 'in the zone'.

At worst they could have said "Do 200 of these :pepper: :banana: :pepper: "

Farking bureaucratic bullsh1t. :mj:

If that's what it's gonna be like the whole way through, maybe the civi route is your best bet anyways...

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Don't blame the DI's at the bootcamp....IMO its 100% the recruiters fault. If you were that close to your max weight he should have measured you. Most likely you were a quota he needed to fill...

wannacobra said:
Thanks guys, they did do a body fat percentage and i was at 26% and the most i could have been at was 23%. So they sent me home and encouraged me to come back when I could (when i lost the pound). So now I'm home and I have my recruiter busting his ass so that I can go back in in a couple of weeks. I told him too, if I can't get back in in the next month that I'm not coming back, so hopefully he'll get off of his ass and do it.

wannacobra

Future Job...
Established Member
RTStabler51 said:
Don't blame the DI's at the bootcamp....IMO its 100% the recruiters fault. If you were that close to your max weight he should have measured you. Most likely you were a quota he needed to fill...

I don't blame anybody for what happened except the commandant for a stupid rule and my recruiter for not doing the foot work that he should have done.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
The rule is there for a reason......all blame lies solely on the recruiter for not preparing for what you were going into and that includes weight.
wannacobra said:
I don't blame anybody for what happened except the commandant for a stupid rule and my recruiter for not doing the foot work that he should have done.

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
id agree with zincdude if i hadnt called him at inopportune moments quite a few times... *shakes fist* :p

DarickPSU

Mick in a Mystic
Established Member
175 cut off. How tall are you. That is like 50 lbs less than me and I'm still skinny. That seriously sucks though.
D.

Also to lose one pound. Run a lap, take a crap, run one off, and spit in a trauff.
D.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread