Well I finally picked up a 93 Cobra, a few ?s

ihatemyhonda

Established Member
It's been my dream vehicle since I first started driving and I was finally able to pickup a 93 Cobra. So far the only mods done to it are a BBK cold air intake, E-303 cam, equal length shorty headers, crappy aftercat exhaust, Steeda triax shifter, 3.55 gears, Hawk slotted rotors and a strut tower brace. I ordered a set of long tube MAC ceramic coated headers and a matching offroad MAC h-pipe with the flowmaster american thunder 2 chamber catback exhaust. The only problem with the car is I have a slight low end miss which I've heard is caused by the factory computers tune, is that correct? Also once the exhaust components I ordered arrive I'm going to install them and I'm kind of wondering what type of horse power numbers you think I'll be making. Sorry for the long post, but Im just really excited about this car and ready to tear into it with some mods.

ihatemyhonda

Established Member
I will be getting some pictures up just after Christmas when I give the wife "her" new digital camera lol and right now I have just a tick over 92k miles on it.

arods93snake

1 of 185
Established Member
Wow, Thats my old snake #814! Glad she found another good home! She was kinda my resto project that unfortunately lost my interest to my all original, 46k Teal/Black w/sunroof #1395. 1 of 19? Does anyone know where that came from? Anyhow, congrats on your snake, she does hauls !@#!, I smoked my neighbors S2000 with it til about 90mph.

Arod

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
Great purchase. Let me brow beat you with some suggestions.

1. Send all that MAC crap back put some quality parts on that Cobra. Bassani makes an affordable BX line that will fit better, sound better, make more power, and last longer than anything MAC has to offer.
2. Yank that BBK "hot-air" kit off and get an Anderson Power pipe, Pro-M inlet tube, or just put the stock elbow back on it.
3. GET SOME DAMN PICS so we can see that beast!:pop:

Big congrats on the best Cobra ever made. Take good care of it.

Blacksally

Established Member
250-270 hp. Congratulations!

????They make that stock. If people are pulling 221-225 at the rear reals on a dyno, in stock trim, deduct 15% power transfer loss through the drivetrain, that would put theses cars at around 250 stock. I think the power transfer deduction is 15-25% but I'm not sure. But even on the conservative side you see what I mean.

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
twisted89GT said:
Great purchase. Let me brow beat you with some suggestions.

1. Send all that MAC crap back put some quality parts on that Cobra. Bassani makes an affordable BX line that will fit better, sound better, make more power, and last longer than anything MAC has to offer.
2. Yank that BBK "hot-air" kit off and get an Anderson Power pipe, Pro-M inlet tube, or just put the stock elbow back on it.
3. GET SOME DAMN PICS so we can see that beast!:pop:

Big congrats on the best Cobra ever made. Take good care of it.
I second the MAC comments...
I recently had and removed the headers of my Cobra, and noticed how much crap they really are. Bassani does offer the BX line of exhaust like twisted89GT mentioned. And are way better quality then the MAC products are... hands down.

Congrats on the purchase though, Im sure you will be happy with her... :rockon:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Blacksally said:
????They make that stock. If people are pulling 221-225 at the rear reals on a dyno, in stock trim, deduct 15% power transfer loss through the drivetrain, that would put theses cars at around 250 stock. I think the power transfer deduction is 15-25% but I'm not sure. But even on the conservative side you see what I mean.

He asked what sort of power it would put down with the mods he listed. It has a cam too. With that stuff it shouldn't have any problems puting down those numbers. Mine, with an offroad H-pipe and catback put down 229 on a mustang dyno. Camshafts really wake these things up on the top end where the hp is. And even though Ford rated these cars at 240 or whatever, they were very underrated, and more accurately make 260-270 at the motor.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Blacksally said:

that was a rwhp number that was thrown out. Not 250 at the motor

Blacksally

Established Member
that was a rwhp number that was thrown out. Not 250 at the motor

Ok. My bad. I didn't see RWHP in the initial post so I just assumed.

And even though Ford rated these cars at 240 or whatever, they were very underrated, and more accurately make 260-270 at the motor.

That's what I was getting at. I wasn't sure if this guy knew.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Your low end miss is probably a result of the E303 cam. Mine did the same thing and would not idle at all.

I agree with the Mac comments as well, but you can get a great set of ceramic coated FRPP shorties for less than Bassani. I am not a fan of the x pipes on fox bodies, but a lot of people use them.

Congrats on the purchase, and have fun.

ihatemyhonda

Established Member
Well Im not going to be able to do anything with the MAC products they've already been paid for and shipped, so I guess I'll just have to see what they can do for my combination. Actually mine doesn't idle too badly at all with the E-303 cam, like I said it's just a slight low end miss and I'm hoping a good dyno tune might be able to tune that to a better result. I do know that an a-trim supercharger is in my cars near future so I'm trying to hold off on the dyno tune until I get that for my car. I'm not really sure where I'm going to take the project next, but a new Ford Racing posi unit and a set of 31 spline axles are gonna be done pretty soon, once I can find someone locally that can do the project for me.

ihatemyhonda

Established Member
arods93snake said:
Wow, Thats my old snake #814! Glad she found another good home! She was kinda my resto project that unfortunately lost my interest to my all original, 46k Teal/Black w/sunroof #1395. 1 of 19? Does anyone know where that came from? Anyhow, congrats on your snake, she does hauls !@#!, I smoked my neighbors S2000 with it til about 90mph.

Arod
Yeah it looks as if it's recently had an entirely new interior put in it and this spring a new paint job is to follow suit. I've so far decedid to just do a few basic suspension modifications to her and the exhaust I already ordered, then it's time to get to work on restoring the exterior to perfect shape even though it's not in bad shape as it sits. Yeah I was able to hand a turbo Civic a nice loss the first night I got her driving home and thats all I can ask for :D

ihatemyhonda

Established Member
Thats cool I was just outside checking all the fluids and evrything on the car and noticed that the factory 65mm TB was replaced with a BBK 70 mm unit. I hate to keep bothering you guys with all of the posts, but this is the car I've always wanted and I've finally got it and couldn't be any happier. Now I just need tirerack.com's shipment to arrive because Im kind of scared to drive the car too much as the tires are completely shot.

svtdriven

Established Member
In my humble opinion, I think the Mac exhaust sounds much better than the bassani stuff. but the h-pipe doesn't make that big a difference in sound. the bassani mufflers are okay at idle, but sound like hollow cans while accelerating.

I'm runnig BBK shorties with a mac h-pipe w/ cats(not an easy fit) with some flowmasters on the ends.

my 93 Idling

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Mine currently has the MAC catback on it, and while it sounds killer, the fitment is horrible. I have less than 1/4" between every point as the pipes clear the rear axle. If I adjust it one way to keep from rattling, it just rubs somewhere else and rattles some more. And this is after I've taken it off several times and "clearenced" the pipes some with a BFH. Had I not just bought a Tremec, I'd have a new catback.

Users who are viewing this thread