Well I discovered my car has a pretty bad pinion seal leak...

Dave_6

Established Member
Took it to my work yesterday morning so I could use our drive on alignment rack. Me and a friend installed all my BMR rear suspension and the driveshaft back in late December but I haven't been able to set the pinion angle since then (it isn't a daily driver anyways, gets driven maybe once a week). Got it up on the lift and discovered rear end fluid was slung all over the fuel tank cover, rear end housing and the OTA pipes. I though "well shit". I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a wet spot on the housing back before I even lowered it but I never bothered to take it to the dealer. I know two of the service writers at the dealer and they said they would warranty it no problem, even with the mods I have. My question is, if I'm wanting to upgrade to either a Boss intake or the Cobra Jet in the near future, would now be the time to say screw it and upgrade to some 3.73s or maybe even 4.10s? (Mine came with 3.31s). I have a guy here local that said he will rebuild the rear, install the gears and setup the pinion angle correctly for $400. Sound too high? What would you do?

BTW the car only has ~11,700 miles on it. Bought it new in Sep '12.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Turn something bad into something good, get the new gears with a rebuild kit have your buddy install it, set the pinion angle and put it behind you! By the way $400 is a great price. Currently I'm in the process of rebuilding my rear with a Detroit locker tru trac and strange 31 spline axles with c- clip eliminators. Just waiting for the brand new housing from ford!

Dave_6

Established Member
They're probably a little too much with the MT-82 I'm guessing. I'm leaning towards going ahead with the gear swap and using 3.73s.

Voltwings

Established Member
Do you do street or strip? I love my 3.31 CJ combo on the street, i have powerband for DAYS. Not going to lie though, when my cams go in, if i lose much more low end torque i will likely be making the switch to a 3.55 or something... Probably not a 3.73 though, i really prefer that longer gear.

Users who are viewing this thread