Well I am pissed and redoing my combo

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
Hey guys what's up? Well as some of you know I have had my new engine combo up and going steady for about a month and half now and after driving it, I am just not happy with the results, I know there are other things I still need to upgrade such as the MAF, which I am ordering tomm. and T-body but I want more power, to be exact 330 or so rwhp. Right now the car runs strong and can hold its own but it just seems like it is not up to its full potential. To top things off it started making a knock/tick on the LH head/lifter valley, I figured it was possibly a lifter, actually I was pretty damn sure thats what is was, well I replaced all the lifters put it back together fire her up and waa laa no more noise and no more lifter noise at all!! Well fast forward an hour I get home, park it and take a shower get dressed and feeling pretty upbeat I go start the car and :cuss: :cuss: the noise is back!!!! I couldn't believe it, now I am going to pull the engine and yank the pan and check all the rods/pistons to make sure everything is okay. So now I am to the point that I am just pissed, and honestly hate driving my car, after really thinking about it all, wierd problems with valvetrain ticking, and absurdly low dyno numbers, still blows blue smoke out the tailpipes on the decel from a hard run (could possibly be the forged pistons and moly rings haven't set just yet) I am doubting some of things I tried with this combo. Sorry to post this but damn I am just not as happy with this engine as I had hoped to be, and just had to let it out. So now I have 2 sets of rebuilt GT-40 P heads for sell $700 for both sets, mine has right at 1100 mi. on them and the other set has maybe 200 miles. And I am still debating on wether or not to swap intakes currently I have a TFS Street Heat ( I will more than likely keep)
Anyway I am still debating on the heads unless I sell them very soon. Either keep the P's and port and polish, 3 angle valve job, larger valves, convert to stud mount, etc.(I have a friend at the local head shop) or pick up a set of AFR 185s and be done with it but I would really be strecthing my finances to get 'em.
I am going to use my Comp Cam 35-518-8, 224/232, 555/565, 112 LSA that I have laying in the box at work, b/c I didn't want to spend the money (about $350) to make it work with my P heads and now I regret that I didn't do it in the first place. Help me out guys I really want to make the heads work with what I have just b/c everyone around here told me I couldn't make it fast with those heads, and I almost believe them right now.:shrug:

blk96SVT

Established Member
That sucks, sounds like you put a lot of work into your engine for almost nothing. Hopefully you get it straightened out. Good luck

Tim

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
Well I am def. gonna sell the P heads, b/c it is gonna cost me about $350(parts and labor) before a valve job and clean up, just to make 'em work with my big cam and I called Brodix today (they are located about 2hrs. from here) and got a good deal on some ST 5.0 R heads and hopefully by next month I will have them. So now I have a bunch of stuff for sale to fund this upgrade. With these heads and cam I should very easily achieve 350rwhp. Wish me luck.

Last edited:

red96cobra

Drivin' on a rail
Established Member
Ever thought about the rousch 200 heads? With a little port work the flow on them is amazing. My 81 is going to have them with a .512 lift Lunati bracket master and a weind stealt with a speed demon carb all on a 351W. Desktop dyno says about 425 hp I think with the ported flow numbers

Just something to think about. Don't know how the work with F/I though. You might want to check into them. I think Jegs has them for 850 complete with manley ss valves

Nick

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
I thought about looking into those, but didn't really get around to checking on them, I thought they would be a little to serious for what I wanted to do? Thanks for the input man, I will have to cruise over to their website and check 'em out. I will be running a Comp with 565 lift.

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
I just checked out the specs on the Rousch heads and I think i will stick with the Brodix's. The 200's have a 64cc chamber vs. 60cc on the ST 5.0R's and also the Brodix's come with a multi angle valve job and actually have a a little better flow numbers with only a 1.94 valve size vs. 2.02 in the 200s plus with my cam I think I might run into piston to valve clearance problems with my cam and a 2.02 valve. Both have a 1.6 exhaust valves. Thanks for your input though man, they have a kick ass price on those 200s right now also.

red96cobra

Drivin' on a rail
Established Member
Yeah valve clearance would deffinitly be a problem. I have a friend who put them on his motor and didn't check the clearance. Needless to say he had to replace all his valves when he started it up.

Nick

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
You can't beat the price on those things right now though, $539 plus shipping for a complete head!!! That is awesome. Plus the Brodix's are aluminum instead of iron(there is the cost difference) I just think I will more easily see the results I want with the Brodix's. Plus I like the idea of buying from a locae company!! Sounds silly especially considering how many parts they sell but every little bit helps.

Users who are viewing this thread