Well here we go.....Heater Core ?

slow98cobra

Established Member
To start off, I was driving my truck home from work the other day and I started smelling coolant. My first initial thought was, "Why the hell is my truck overheating?" but that doesn't seem to be the case. I had the a/c on and i noticed a vapor coming through the vents. Ding Ding Ding, heater core. The passenger floor isn't wet but I did notice a small spot of coolant on the garage floor.

So my question would be, how hard is it to change on these trucks? I have replaced one on quite a bit older of a vehicle but nothing like this. It doesn't appear you can just drop the glove box. What would I be getting myself into?

Should I just pay to get a replaced and possibly save my marriage, haha? The wifey hates when I tear everything apart and have parts strung across the garage for days since she loses her parking spot.

Is there a write-up by any chance? I didn't see one in the how-to.

I'm also worried about electolysis because I do have an aftermarket system. Anything you guys recommend to help alleviate the problem?

A lot of questions, I know, but i'm just looking for a little feedback from somebody who has tackled this problem or has first hand knowledge from working on these trucks.

HIVOLTG

Go SKERS!
Established Member
I've been down that far. It sucks, but with another set of hands it isn't too terrible.

I have a spare heater core that I'd hook you up with. I'm not sure if they are expensive or not. If they are cheapish it might be better off to just buy a brand new one with the labor involved to change it.

tistan

Established Member
I helped a freind do his f150. What a pain in the ass. I hope I never have to do another one.

Users who are viewing this thread