well 4th tune down... advice please!

96snake719

Established Member
Took my car to get tuned yet again yesterday after fixing a few issues, and Im still having problems! mind you this time the car was tuned in open loop because we could never get it to go cloosed... so that fixed that problem. Now my problem is breaking up bad at about 5800 rpm, and erratic idle ONLY when the car comes up to temp... Other than that car drives great air/fuel is spot on driveability is pretty good.

during the tune I had NGK TR6s in gapped at .025, He thought maybe that was my problem so he told me to get some NGK BR7EFs and gap them at
.020... which I did, and on the street it still feels like its breaking up at like 6500 now. Am I missing something here? car has stock coil packs and brand new ford racing 9mm wires, and It never did this with the old set up!!

For the idle part, it idles great when cold surges a little bit but straightens out pretty quick. As soon as it warms up the idle starts to go down hill and when coming to a stop will hunt and then quit. Now if I start the car and jump right in it and start driving without letting it sit there and warm up the problem doesnt happen as much. This car is so bizzar and has me banging my head up against the wall!!!! I just want to get it running half way decent so I can sell the damn thing because Im tired of it! If any of you have any advice for me i would really appreciate it! thanks Nick

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I'm not a big blown expert but damn,,,,

.020?
Never saw a gap that small.

Yes the stock .054 gap needs to be closed up on most blown applications but you want the largest gap possible without blowout.

.032 is about the smallest I've seen.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
Your tuner needs to pay more attention to the disc duty cycle. .35 Is the preferred value at idle but most of us sn94 guys have to go up to .45-.46
As far as the plugs, .020 Is way too tight. .25 Is about the tightest to run but only at 20 plus psi. If you still have blowout, through a KB bas on it

96snake719

Established Member
I'm not a big blown expert but damn,,,,

.020?
Never saw a gap that small.

Yes the stock .054 gap needs to be closed up on most blown applications but you want the largest gap possible without blowout.

.032 is about the smallest I've seen.

I agree... and believe me I started with .032 but that was a joke! broke up at like 4k rpms with that. Everytime I would close the gap up I would get more rpm out of it before it broke up. But you can only go so small! A .020 gap got me to about 6k but I wanna spin the motor to at least 7. I was making 587rwhp at 5800 rpm and 16 psi and the boost was comin on fast, Its got a lot more potential I just need to figure out why Im loosing spark up there.

Its got factory ford coil packs on it but I believe they are the originals with 90k miles on them... is there a way I can test them to see if there still up to spec?

96snake719

Established Member
Your tuner needs to pay more attention to the disc duty cycle. .35 Is the preferred value at idle but most of us sn94 guys have to go up to .45-.46
As far as the plugs, .020 Is way too tight. .25 Is about the tightest to run but only at 20 plus psi. If you still have blowout, through a KB bas on it

The sad part is... I do have a BAS!! There's no way it can be working though if this is happening. Can you give me a quick instal lesson just to see if I have it right or a way to test it? I don't see how I can have it screwed up its so simple!

96snake719

Established Member
I think I can rule out a vacuum leak... hooked a gauge up to it tonight and it was pulling about 21 inHg. Is that right? also I drove it tonight on the street and it pulled to 7k with little effort tomorrow Ill do the same thing and it will prolly break up...I just don't know

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
The sad part is... I do have a BAS!! There's no way it can be working though if this is happening. Can you give me a quick instal lesson just to see if I have it right or a way to test it? I don't see how I can have it screwed up its so simple!

easiest way to test it is with a multimeter at the coil packs. I run my BAS full time at the max setting, so I read 17v at the packs at idle.

svtcobralover

Established Member
Get new Ford OEM coil packs. This never makes sense to me. How can you spend so much money on a badass setup but then reuse you factory coil packs with 90k miles on them. They are 15 plus years old.

96snake719

Established Member
Id rather not just "parts replace" no matter what it is... They worked fine on my last set up so yes I reused them. If you suspect it to be the coils how do I go about testing them, and what numbers am I looking for?

greasy

SVT Noob
Established Member
I was getting spark plug blowout on my mild Novi 2K setup with the TR6's gapped at 0.025" and we had to step it down to 0.018". That eliminated the blowout and the car made awesome power.

96snake719

Established Member
Ok thanks before I even test anything I want to make sure I have the BAS hooked up right... What side of the coil wire does the fused wire from the BAS go to? The side going back into the loom or the connector?

Users who are viewing this thread