Welding Torque Boxes

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member
I have on order new rear upper and lower arms HR race springs and a MM panhard bar. I forgot that the torque boxes should be welded up while there doing that kind of stuff and I didn't order the Battle Boxes or something similar. What is needed and how do you do that with out using the pre-made stuff like the Battle Boxes?

Since I am getting a panhard bar, does that mean I can take off all four of the crappy quad shocks off? I think that is the case but I'm not a 100% sure on that one.
Any help/advise is much appreciated fella's because I'm dropping off my car this week to get this done.

Thanks in advance

Kurt

carguy19

Established Member
If you are planning on racing the car regularly with slicks it might be a good idea to weld up the torque boxes. I would just have a chassis shop weld up the seems where they are tacked. If they are already torn then you might need a kit to repair them.
If you arent going to use slicks a lot then don't bother messing with them.

You will need to remove the quad shocks when you install lower control arms, it will tell you to do so in the directions.

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member
I know you have to remove them for the install, I should of said that by installing a panhard bar you don't want/need to reinstall the quad shocks because the P.H. bar eliminates the need for them. I think that's the case but let me know if I am wrong.

Thanks again

Kurt

buddha93

Established Member
Like Carguy said, make sure you weld up the seams. The other thing I do is weld in some 1/4' plate in a few key areas around the boxes. There have been some good articles on how to do this so you might want to do a search on the net. My opinion on when to weld them is as soon as you start making more power or start throwing aftermarket arms on the car. I can tell you I've seen many a torque box trashed with nothing more than a set of South Sides and street tires.

And no, you won't need the 2 quad shocks when your done. The aftermarket uppers and lowers take care of that themselves.

Last edited:

emoore3278

Established Member
KC/Cobra: I just completed a full upgrade to the MM suspension, rear arms, PH bar, etc. on my '93. I am in Overland Park if you want to see something close to what I did before you make a purchase...net/net: I love what it does to the handling.

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member
KC/Cobra: I just completed a full upgrade to the MM suspension, rear arms, PH bar, etc. on my '93. I am in Overland Park if you want to see something close to what I did before you make a purchase...net/net: I love what it does to the handling.

Thanks for the replies guys:beer: emoore, thanks for the offer! That would be awesome to see your car's setup and hopefully a little demo;-) I'll pm you my #

Thanks everybody,

Kurt

Users who are viewing this thread