Welding in high flow cats on a 2010

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Just got this catback and crossover x-pipe installed:
http://www.borla.com/products/product_detail.aspx?prod_sku=140320

Love the overall tone - much deeper, and very smooth, with no drone while cruising. My only "issue" is it's not quite as loud as I would like. Seems just a bit quieter than, say, the borla stinger catback I had on my 04 cobra. The mufflers of that kit and this new one look basically identical, but the new ones use a "multicore" setup.

Anyways, just curious about the concept of opting for some high flow cats. Firstly, this borla kit requires the cutting (shortening) of the stock midpipe, so the option of a catted x-pipe is out - unless i wanted to chop up a brand new $600+ pipe. This is why I'd just replace the cats. So how much louder should I expect a set of cats to make the catback? Would drone be likely to increase a lot, because that would kinda suck. Also, would metallic cats be a good idea? (for reference: http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-metallic-catalytic-converter.html). I hear they flow well, but I see many listed as "off road", and I'm gonna have to pass e-tests in another couple years. Also, I've seen a few aftermarket cats that use clamps if you don't want to weld - worth it? Figured that could let me try a set and if it was louder than I wanted to go, I could just weld the stockers back in.

Anyways, lots of questions on my end, so thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I have the JBA 3" 2010 high flow catted x pipe and I LOVE it. It's stainless steel and fit to the factory manifolds perfectly. I also have the 3" Super Snake cat back so I opted for the 3" all the way back, but I think you can get the same x pipe with high flow cats and a 2.5" out to mate to a factory style cat back. My car sounds perfect for me, not too loud, but loud enough and no rasp which was most important.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I think Zach is asking about power because 700 RWHP seems to be the limit for most cats out there. They seem to melt and cause more problems than their worth when you get up there in boost and power.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Yeah, but the only issue is I had to cut the stock midpipe behind the cats to fit the system I went with. So as I said, I'm not keen on spending 600+ on a catted midpipe only to have to cut it as well.

I guess I'm just trying to see how easy a job it is, and whether it would change the tone unfavourably (love how deep it is now), add drone, or make it excessively loud. If I could get about 25 percent more volume with no other significant changes, I'd be thrilled.

Users who are viewing this thread