Welding Axle tubes

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
So I recently finally finished performing my SRA swap and i am getting a few things welded on my car like my exhaust and drive shaft loop. while my buddy has it, another friend told me to have the axle tubes welded to the actual pumpkin portion. i understand the reasoning but is there really a necessity. I know it will only take a few more minutes of his time but is it really worth convincing him to do it since he doesnt really believe in it.

jmstekguy

Established Member
yes the welding process actually requires a jig, and a special welding rod to join mild steel (tubing) to cast (centersection/housing), on a car with a lot of hook and tire its really a necessity over 600rwp from what i have seen in our shop, i have seen a couple cracked housings in 400rwhp cars, the diff has to be completely disassembled and cleaned to do this procedure properly imo and the casting needs to be brought up to temp to do the welding procedure. just my .02

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
I guess its a good thing I asked I never realized what was involved I guess ill do more research on this first

jmstekguy

Established Member
yeah man talk to someone at wolfe racing or teamz they should be able to at least give you a few recomendations if not, search yellowbullet.com and ask whos available in your area to do it.

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
I'm glad I went down to excessive motorsports and talked with Chris and he confirmed what all of you have said. This job really isn't that straight forward. Like you guys said the rear really should be out of the car and set in a jig. I should be good for a season then once I save money next winter ill build up the rear and have him weld up the tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread