Welded Axle Tubes

nonliberal

Established Member
I dropped my housing and took it to a fab shop. He charged $30 and I picked it up the next day.

heart_attack

Established Member
Do they need to be welded all the way around? Or could I just put some beads on the spots that are easy to get to?

Tyler72

Established Member
Ask to see their jig. If they have one, you're good to go. If they don't, run.

See... This isn't always true... Ive welded about 15 or so without a jig. I've never had one warp... We tested a few with different welding techniques and found a reliable way to do it. Which by the way, that jig isn't a for sure thing either if you dont know what you're doing. Saw a guy warp one so bad that the bar wouldnt come out until he took loose the bearing caps. The jigs are really designed for squaring up or installing housing ends. So proper technique still must be utilized.

bottledgt

Established Member
Not very often a rear is even straight enough before you weld it to use the jig anyway. Use sense and its fine. Done plenty without one.

95PGTTech

Established Member
See... This isn't always true... Ive welded about 15 or so without a jig. I've never had one warp... We tested a few with different welding techniques and found a reliable way to do it. Which by the way, that jig isn't a for sure thing either if you dont know what you're doing. Saw a guy warp one so bad that the bar wouldnt come out until he took loose the bearing caps. The jigs are really designed for squaring up or installing housing ends. So proper technique still must be utilized.

How are you able to measure whether the axle tubes are true without using a jig? :dw:

I have never seen a 8.8 axle come off a Ford product and the tubes didn't require some tweaking. Sure, there is an acceptable range for "it'll work" but I see no point in going through the effort of welding the tubes if you are going to half ass it.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
They should be checking to make sure straight before welding. Even my slow ass 3V was off 1/8". I used The CHE, but had them weld as well since I was changing gears. Pretty much CHE LCA brackets only, if I need them.

DSCN0524_zps7b5f9ffa.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread