Weld RT-S (fronts) 17x7, 17x5 or 18x7

scotmach

Established Member
I have the Weld 17x5 up front and my car is far from a daily driver and I regret now at times that I didn't go with the 17x7 wheels. I run a radial and at the time I bought them no one had a 28" tall tire so I got the 26" Hoosiers that really measure out to 25.5". My front sits a little low because of them and the front end shakes a little around 70 mph which I believe is a byproduct of the skinnies. On the plus side they are really light.

Who wants to buy some Weld RT-S 17x5 wheels wrapped in Hoosiers with maybe 1500 miles?

Last edited:

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
I'm running 17x5's and no my car is'nt a DD either but I have absolutely NO vibration issues. I'm using the M/T Sportsman S/R 26x6/17 and they are short but a 28 on the front with a 17 does NOT look right on these cars, a friend has them on his 13 and it looks like the tire could eat the fender well liner on the smallest of bumps.

clean92lx

Established Member
I'm running 17x5's and no my car is'nt a DD either but I have absolutely NO vibration issues. I'm using the M/T Sportsman S/R 26x6/17 and they are short but a 28 on the front with a 17 does NOT look right on these cars, a friend has them on his 13 and it looks like the tire could eat the fender well liner on the smallest of bumps.

Any regrets with the 17x5's when out cruising around town? I really want weld RTS 17x5 and the same exact tire you mentioned as well but just about every person that talks about this subject is so adamant about how much they suck for street driving.

scotmach

Established Member
I wouldn't say the 17x5 size sucks it just takes a little getting used to. Everyone has a differenent tolerance level. I go back and forth on whether to keep mine or switch to a 17x7. But my car is a 2011 with 5500 miles on it so that tells you how many miles I put on a year.

clean92lx

Established Member
I wouldn't say the 17x5 size sucks it just takes a little getting used to. Everyone has a differenent tolerance level. I go back and forth on whether to keep mine or switch to a 17x7. But my car is a 2011 with 5500 miles on it so that tells you how many miles I put on a year.

Ok cool. I don't dd my car and only take it cruising around town (35-40 mph) and trips to Mexico on the weekends so I think I'll be fine with runners up front...

The way people talk, I was getting worried it'll be like on pins and needles everytime I drive the car in the street. Guess I need to just get some and find out for myself

Last edited:

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
Any regrets with the 17x5's when out cruising around town? I really want weld RTS 17x5 and the same exact tire you mentioned as well but just about every person that talks about this subject is so adamant about how much they suck for street driving.

You'll be fine, I'd say it takes someone more finicky(guess that's a word lol!)to notice the difference. Mine drives perfectly fine to me and have had absolutely no second thoughts of getting anything else. I've put 1700 miles on my car in the 5 months I've had it and running these the entire time and had them on my 13' as well. I also had 17x4.5 Darkstars on the 13' prior to the Weld's.

clean92lx

Established Member
You'll be fine, I'd say it takes someone more finicky(guess that's a word lol!)to notice the difference. Mine drives perfectly fine to me and have had absolutely no second thoughts of getting anything else. I've put 1700 miles on my car in the 5 months I've had it and running these the entire time and had them on my 13' as well. I also had 17x4.5 Darkstars on the 13' prior to the Weld's.

Awesome thanks for the feedback!

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
on a dd, we like the 17x7's, little better handling and stopping, but saves weight, tires are much cheaper too

let me know if we can help you out

stangn

Established Member
I dd mine and run 18x8 with stock 235 tires. Didn't want to give up handling but I should have done a 6or7.

Users who are viewing this thread