Weird TOB Noise

alicecooper

Established Member
So I recently replaced my clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing and TOB because my old TOB started making a grinding noise. I kind of did something stupid and installed the TOB from Spec. Anyways, it was fine for the first few days, now when I start it up, it sounds like a squeaking/chirping belt and gets louder when I push the pedal down. After about 2 minutes of driving it goes away. My blower belt I believe got glazed again as well (dang pulley bearings failing). I haven't had a chance to have anyone help me identify where the noise is coming from exactly, but I know my belt squeaks when cold. Is there any reason the chirping/squeaking of my belt would change if I push the clutch pedal down? Also, why does it go away after warming up? I know the belt would eventually get warm and soft so that explains the belt, but if my TOB is making the noise, why would it go away after about a minute of driving?

alicecooper

Established Member
Yes, not sure on the brand of adjuster, but it is definitely aftermarket. The pedal currently releases closer to the bottom. I was working with my mechanic buddy on adjusting it, we did have it pretty tight so it released near the top, but it was still making the noise so we loosened it.

Tyjc444

Do you have a firewall adjuster? Where does clutch pedal release?
I hope the original posting member doesn't mind me piggy back on their post but I read your questions & they go along with an issue I'm having on my 03 cobra coupe.

I bought this vehicle just over 8 months ago with 20k miles. I got it from a guy up in Little Rock. He was the 4th owner & said it has a Spec Stage 3+ clutch & that he had replaced the TOB when he purchased it around 18k miles. When I picked it up I drove it 600 miles straight from Little Rock airport to Fort Worth. The car drove great but I will say this is my first high performance vehicle & I'm not that up to speed on the way things should feel or act. When I arrived home that evening I had belt squeal & a chirruping coming from where I believed to be the clutch fork area. New belt squeal subsided but the chirruping still maintained. The car does have a firewall adjuster but if adjusted to far chirruping turns to whinning. Eventually I was able to find a sweetspot but I just don't things are right.

1. Over the pass several months I've driven my beloved vehicle to the tune of 3k miles & lets just say my left leg has some added GIRTH! HOLY HELL, I swear it takes 100lbs. to engage the clutch but I been told that isn't abnormal with the Spec Stage 3+?

2. My clutch disengages extremely quick. like less than an inch quick & if I let anyone other than myself drive this car they stall the vehicle numerous times before over revving and lurching the car violently. At which point they are done driving.lol

3. At times it can be very resistant to at rest shifts into 1st & R. Also, under high torque situations it doesn't want to shift at all. Like 1st->2nd & so fourth until 5th & 6th gear. Recently, I was making a quick lane change on the throttle, off throttle, clutch in, shift attempt, frustration.., 2nd shift attempt with a little more force & ever since then things haven't been the same. Clutch pressure doesn't feel as stiff & she really doesn't like getting into gear at rest. As well as moving shifts just feel rough and sick.

Please if anyone can help a fellow Cobra lover out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to anyone that has taken the time to read my short story about my car issues & I hope all is well for you.

Users who are viewing this thread