Weird ticking/chiming sound from engine bay

MisterChrome

Established Member
I've got this weird sound coming from my engine bay when my car is idling or driving at low speeds. It is a weird ticking/chiming sound. I don't feel anything so there is no physical contact going on anywhere but it just has a weird sound. Anyone know what I am talking about? :shrug:

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Sorry man, but that is probably the most vague thing I've ever heard. lol

Roughly where is the sound coming from, are you down on power, does it still idle fine, does it misfire, is it a constant sound sqeak, does it get louder when you rev it?

There are a lot of variables, for someone of use to help you out, you need to explain in depth.

04RiceEater

Established Member
I had a a ticking sound and it turne out to be a stuck lifter, there's a few things it could be though given your description. Try and take a video and post it up.

MisterChrome

Established Member
Sorry man, but that is probably the most vague thing I've ever heard. lol

Roughly where is the sound coming from, are you down on power, does it still idle fine, does it misfire, is it a constant sound sqeak, does it get louder when you rev it?

There are a lot of variables, for someone of use to help you out, you need to explain in depth.

haha sorry man I reread and saw how vague it was. Had to write it up real quick and didn't have time to try to locate the sound. I recorded 2 videos on my phone and will now work on figuring out how to post them up. The sound is really strong under the car behind the front driverside fender (maybe around the trans?) area and from inside it sounds kind of strong from behind the center dash/stereo area. I have not been able to actually get underneath the car.

MisterChrome

Established Member
I had a a ticking sound and it turne out to be a stuck lifter, there's a few things it could be though given your description. Try and take a video and post it up.

Here are some vids

th_20130718_091817.jpg

th_Vid.jpg

Last edited:

MisterChrome

Established Member
^for some reason the 2nd video you can't really hear the sound bc the exhaust is louder on the video even though it sounds super clear on my phone but you can clearly hear it in the first video. Any help would be appreciated

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Just judging from the sound, it sounds pulley related like something is squeaking. I know my alternator that was dying was doing that before it started whiting really loud. If I were you, I would take the belt off and start it to kind of consolidate where it's coming. Inspect all the pulleys for anything out of the ordinary. Just my .02 cents.

MisterChrome

Established Member
Just judging from the sound, it sounds pulley related like something is squeaking. I know my alternator that was dying was doing that before it started whiting really loud. If I were you, I would take the belt off and start it to kind of consolidate where it's coming. Inspect all the pulleys for anything out of the ordinary. Just my .02 cents.

Could it be a bad/dying alternator?

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Could be a number of things, but from the video it sounded more like a squeaking noise rather than a tapping noise. I replaced my belt thinking that was my problem when I had a squeak at idle. It got worse and worse, finally was a loud whirring sound. Then one night my Aeroforce gauge read 10.5 volts while driving, so I was straight off the battery. Replaced mine with a Start N Charge and it runs around 13.5 at idle.

So my problem was an alternator. Has your problem gotten any worse/better?

MisterChrome

Established Member
Could be a number of things, but from the video it sounded more like a squeaking noise rather than a tapping noise. I replaced my belt thinking that was my problem when I had a squeak at idle. It got worse and worse, finally was a loud whirring sound. Then one night my Aeroforce gauge read 10.5 volts while driving, so I was straight off the battery. Replaced mine with a Start N Charge and it runs around 13.5 at idle.

So my problem was an alternator. Has your problem gotten any worse/better?

It has gotten worse to the point that I am even hearing it more now while driving vs before it was mostly at idle. As far as the sound, it does have a little tapping noise on top of the squeak.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
If it was me I would
1) Inspect all the pulleys and belt
2) Start car without belt
3) Ticking could be a small exhaust leak

I noticed my power windows were getting slower and slower over time as my alternator was going.

MisterChrome

Established Member
If it was me I would
1) Inspect all the pulleys and belt
2) Start car without belt
3) Ticking could be a small exhaust leak

I noticed my power windows were getting slower and slower over time as my alternator was going.

I thought about those things but the sound is coming from the rear of the engine, near the bottom, vs where the belts and pulleys are. Also thought it could be an exhaust leak but I just got a new setup installed and the sound is still there. I'm lost. I feel like it is in the area where the engine meets the transmission, maybe. As you can see from the videos, the sound is most noticeable from the front wheel wells, back of tires, and from inside behind the center dash...

MisterChrome

Established Member
Also I just tested the alternator and its fine but I'm going to retest is tomorrow with a cold engine

MisterChrome

Established Member
How else can I test the alternator other than a battery/alternator tester or scanner bc according to the tester it reads fine? Going to look into the belt as well

04screamingvert

Established Member
Put a new belt on your SC. Change my belt at 39000 miles sound was gone after that. I checked my engine with a auto stethoscope and was not able to locate any abnormal sounds the belt was old and cheep to change.

MisterChrome

Established Member
All the belts look fine and the alternator is not making that sound. It is coming from somewhere in the exhaust area or where the engine meets the transmission. All tests came out fine and I did a scan and no codes came up. Any ideas?

MisterChrome

Established Member
Anyone? I keep trying to record a video but every time I try to upload it, that sound is masked by the exhaust. Will keep trying

badazzebz06

Established Member
r u sure its not a loose pulley? mine made a tapping squeaking sound cause the bolt was loose then i let my buddy drive it and the serpentine belt shredded im like wtf he parked it i came out the next day and saw the pulley got so loose it hit the pulley bridge and opened up like a sardine can shredding the belt.....check all ur pulley bolts

Users who are viewing this thread