Weird! tick came for a day then gone....

04snake

Established Member
:shrug: :shrug: I drove the car 360 miles to atlanta and then started heading back, About 70 miles into the return trip we stopped off and ate at Ocharleys for like an hour. The engine was quiet as hell as usual when we arrived at the restaurant and this motor has never had the tick. When I came out and started the car, it was immediately ticking loud as hell, 10x as loud as any tick, I wasnt diving the car hard at all. It was about 300 miles from oil change time, I use mobil 1 0/20. I checked the oil and it was dead center between min and max. Engine has 17000 on it. I drove like 1/2 mile to a gas station and was forced to put a quart of some cheap shit in. It was still ticking loud as hell increasing with rpm and i could hear it going down the highway, than it just went away. The engine is dead quiet again with no noise. Once again i never had the tick, and i got friends with the tick. This was loud and high pitched like a rocker arm thats all but off on a pushrod motor. Like i said it seems perfect again, drove all the way home 300 mor miles. What do u think happen

04snake

Established Member
Update: I just started the car after it sat overnight, and it ticked quietly for like 2 seconds then went silent again. This reminds me of a lifter on a 5.0 thats not pumping up right away. Yesterday: The noise was definitely coming from under the valve cover on drivers side head toward the back just past center. I could hear in the wheel well as well.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Oh no - that means the engine is about to blow up!!

J/K of course... The reason for the tick on our cars is poor engineering of the oil passages in the head, especially noticable on the rear drivers side. What oil viscosity are you running in the winter? If your cars rings have broken in, I would suggest a synthetic 5w20 or 5w30 (VERY personal decision...) and see if this remedies your ticking noise.

Good luck,
Dan

04snake

Established Member
i use mobil 1 0w20 (mobil doesnt make 5w20, 0w20 says use for 5w20 applications.

04snake

Established Member
Yeah, I know, its weird. Im gonna change the oil tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread