Weird sound with my L

rfat16

Muscle Car Master
Established Member
Ok guys maybe you can help me out. I don't want to take my L into the shop and have some ass clown guess and check. I mean Well lets get you a new starter......oh thats not the problem lets try a new alt......thats not the problem lets try something else. I do not need that. Ok now to the issue

Sometimes- about every 15th start. I will start my L and about 5-10 seconds from when i started the L there is a grinding noise. It almost sounds like the starter is slow dis-engaging. The best way for me to describe the sound is, you know the sound when you pull to close to a curb and your front spoiler just barely touches the curb and drags across the whole curb. You know the noise. :)

Any help.......Suggestions.........Anything

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
It sounds like the solenoid is sticking or binding or the flexplate is damaged. Pull the starter and look at the teeth of the flexplate. If a few of the teeth are chewed it will take a few attempts at starting for the bad spot to come back around to the starter.

Sorry, I'd try to help out more but I'm one of those ass clowns.

coild

Established Member
Try putting it in gear with your foot on the brake immediatly after starting and see if it still does it.

rfat16

Muscle Car Master
Established Member
Could in fact be your starter not disengaging all the way and the flywheel is hitting it. Does it happen imediately following start-up or is it delayed?

Its probably 5-20 secs after start up.

"Try putting it in gear with your foot on the brake immediatly after starting and see if it still does it."
Still does it i have tried that already

rfat16

Muscle Car Master
Established Member
It sounds like the solenoid is sticking or binding or the flexplate is damaged. Pull the starter and look at the teeth of the flexplate. If a few of the teeth are chewed it will take a few attempts at starting for the bad spot to come back around to the starter.

Sorry, I'd try to help out more but I'm one of those ass clowns.

Not trying to be a jerk about it, but the Ford store around me is loaded up full of douche knuckles.

I was thinkin thats what it was but have yet to take it out to check.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
I'm just busting your balls.

5 to 20 seconds is a real long time to be a stuck starter. If it is something in the starter it is just chewing up the flexplate.

I'd get that starter out and check the flexplate ASAP. You will have to rotate the flexplate by using a big screwdriver to spin it all the way around if you have a stock lower pulley.

rfat16

Muscle Car Master
Established Member
No no no it isn't grinding for 5-20 seconds. It will only grind for a sec. The first few times it did it, i thought i was backing up and my ram air was barely touching the curb. I then started the car once and didn't move and it did it. Thats when i realized it was something else not me pulling away from the curb

Users who are viewing this thread