Weird Radio Issue

brian3724

Established Member
As of a few weeks ago, when I turn on the radio it will switch to tape mode, then back to radio mode. It just keeps switching even though there's no tape in the deck. Once the switching starts, it won't stop. Sometimes it won't start doing it right away, other times it starts as soon as I turn the radio on. I have no idea what could be causing this, and am hoping that someone can shed some light for me. I'm hoping that I don't need a new radio.

buddha93

Established Member
As of a few weeks ago, when I turn on the radio it will switch to tape mode, then back to radio mode. It just keeps switching even though there's no tape in the deck. Once the switching starts, it won't stop. Sometimes it won't start doing it right away, other times it starts as soon as I turn the radio on. I have no idea what could be causing this, and am hoping that someone can shed some light for me. I'm hoping that I don't need a new radio.

Well, whatever you do, don't toss the radio. But unfortunately, these radios just aren't all that reliable. The CD players always seem to go south, but the biggest problem always seems to the the volume control will start popping through the speakers and you won't get any sound at certain levels.

Anyway, if your lucky, you may be able to find a small radio shop that could possible fix it for you. I used to have local to me, but they've long since gone out of business.

brian3724

Established Member
I already tried Ford, but was told that they have no one who would be able to diagnose or fix anything related to an older radio like this. I might try Best Buy or a local audio shop, the only problem is that Rapid City doesn't have too many places, and what little they do are very expensive.

buddha93

Established Member
I'd stay away from any of the big box stores.

I'd do some online searching for places like this:

Ford

I'm sure someone out there is still working/repairing these.

Users who are viewing this thread