Weird Problem

UARPREY

Established Member
I've had this car about 2 months, and a few times downshifting into 2nd, it's either grinded or just popped out of gear.

And it occasionally feels like your just hitting a wall when shifting..it could be to and from any gear.

I've discovered the car has steeda firewall adjuster,quadrant and adjustable cable, as well as Steeda Tri-Ax shifter.

Maybe it's the shifter, maybe it's the clutch cable just wore out..

But last night, I had a very odd thing happen. I'm in 4th gear, just cruising, coming up to an intersection 4 way stop, I push the clutch in to downshift to 3rd, and it will not come out of gear, and there's a odd shaky/vibration feeling in the shifter knob..Clutch pushed all the way to the floor and it's like the shifter is glued in 4th gear, so i keep the clutch pedal pushed in, and just come to a stop, and still trying to get it out of gear..finally, it comes out of gear and feels normal. I keep driving, and now i've hit 4th again, going to 5th, and it does the same thing, but only for a split second..

Now one would think if this was an internal trans issue, it would happen every time you drove it, but I've driven the car 40 miles today and it's felt perfectly fine.

I personally think it's that piece of crap shifter combined with a worn out cable.. What do you guys think?

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
I'd say adjust the cable/quadrant. Possible bad TOB as well.
What is your setup clutch wise?

Last edited:

UARPREY

Established Member
No idea, the car is as is when I bought it.

I know if it's running and the clutch pedal isn't pushed in, you can hear the TOB or something. But push it in, and it's totally silent.

When I bought the car, he told me that he thought it needed the clutch adjusted and or a new cable. so that may be it.

I still don't really care for how this triax shifter feels though.

'03snkbt

Established Member
I'm using a Tri-Ax again and it feels fine, but to each their own. I've had a Pro5.0, then went with a Tri-Ax to a MGW. With my new setup, the Tri-Ax does great.
I do have a T56 MGW shifter with both orange and silver handles I may let go if you're interested. The silver handle has a Hurst pistol grip handle....race handle.

I'd adjust the cable and go from there. Let me know if you want my MGW setup(s)! :beer:

Last edited:

UARPREY

Established Member
I'm ordering a new cable and quadrant, UPR cable and triple hook quad.

See how it does then, but def interested in that mgw, pm sent

Anabolic

Banned
check the cable, also check the shifter make sure the shifter stops for some unknown reason arn't backed out more than they were when whoever installed it.

jblood37

Established Member
check the cable, also check the shifter make sure the shifter stops for some unknown reason arn't backed out more than they were when whoever installed it.

I thought the stops weren't even supposed to be installed with the T56's. Thought they had internal stops? :??:

jblood37

Established Member
No idea, the car is as is when I bought it.

I know if it's running and the clutch pedal isn't pushed in, you can hear the TOB or something. But push it in, and it's totally silent.

When I bought the car, he told me that he thought it needed the clutch adjusted and or a new cable. so that may be it.

I still don't really care for how this triax shifter feels though.

My car does the same think when the clutch isn't pushed in. Think you have a Spec Clutch? It's like a buzzing sound. I don't think it's my TOB though because when I looked at the clutch from underneath the car it looks completely brand new.

UARPREY

Established Member
It did it again last night, and while I had previously assumed it was in stuck in gear, when it did this again, i played around with the shifter more and discovered it was in fact in Neutral, just for some reason it felt like total shit, like the shifter itself just couldn't move very well side to side.. I'm now convinced it's this raggedy ass steeda shifter is causing all my problems.

'03snkbt

Established Member
It did it again last night, and while I had previously assumed it was in stuck in gear, when it did this again, i played around with the shifter more and discovered it was in fact in Neutral, just for some reason it felt like total shit, like the shifter itself just couldn't move very well side to side.. I'm now convinced it's this raggedy ass steeda shifter is causing all my problems.

when i had my Steeda in the stk T56 it actually shifted just fine. i'm still leaning towards the adjustment.
i do agree with ANABOLIC.....pull the boot off the shifter and check your shift adjustment bolts. you may need to adjust both the cable and the shifter.
if it is the shifter......we'll talk some more about my MGW :beer:

UARPREY

Established Member
UPR cable and triple hook quad on the way. But I still want your MGW or a MGW period, I haven't liked how this tri-ax felt since day 1 of owning the car, this is the perfect excuse to get rid of it.

Users who are viewing this thread