Weird problem, need some help - Idling/Ticking Problems

Espo

lP ll llVll lP
Established Member
Let me start off with a little history on my car. I bought it last June with a little over 63k on it, completely stock from a 60+ y/o gentleman. Since then I've added the following modifications:
K&N FIPK
UPR O/R X
Flowmaster Catback
RR 2.65 upper pulley
Idler pulleys
Aux Ilder
New plugs (forget which ones)
Mail Tune and Dynoed for a/f reading (everything was within a few clicks of being perfect)
And other things that aren't "power"/motor related.

This past October, I had a bad idling problem, and my buddy told me it was my FRPS (Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor) I changed that as well as the oil at the same time, and since then (about 300 miles ago) everything has been fine, until this weird problem started.

Now the car has 67,500 miles. Monday night I met up with 4 of my buddies who also have 03-04 cobras, so the 5 of us decided to go for a cruise around downtown Pittsburgh. So the parkway ride was nothing but a few WOT blasts, nothing out of the ordinary. After cruising around for about a half hour, we park and take pictures. Then we drive about 20 mins to a gas station where a few needed gas. I shut my car off there, and to this point it was running 100% fine. I went to start my car up at the gas station, and it took a few extra cranks for it to start, and when it did, my whole car was shaking and the idle was REALLY ruff (best way to describe it would be like it was cammed up, almost stalling, but didn't). But at this point everyone was already leaving the gas station, so I called my buddy who was leading, and told him to pull over ASAP. So he did, I pulled up next to them in a parking lot and told them to shut their cars off and listen to mine. At this point, it was tapping so loud and idling so horribly, it sounded a bit like the dreadful TICK, and i left it running to do a little troubleshooting. I first unplugged the FRPS to see if that would help the rough idle, and it didnt, so I shut it off and checked my oil, fine. I started it back up, and same thing, took a few extra cranks, started up, rough idle and the ticking/clicking sound. I was so mad, I decided to just go home in the car, so I lead everyone in case I broke down, they could help me. I was sitting at a red light and all of a sudden, out of no where it just went back to the regular idle, and no ticking sound.

So I dont understand what this could be (and either can my 4 other buddies who have had their car for a while, 1 who had the tick on 2 motors, 1 who completely rebuilt one from a bad front end collision, and the other with other various problems, so they aren't rookies with these cars). It went from such a rough idle and horrible noises coming from under the hood, and BAM went right back to normal.

Now come to think of it, this happened to me about a week ago, I was sitting in a parking lot with my heat on, just talking to a few people, and out of no where, the idle got real rough, like it was cammed up, but I didn't hear a ticking/clicking sound, and i revved it, and a few minutes later it went back to normal.

What can this be? Any ideas? I don't want it to lead to something serious.

Thanks for your time if you read this, I appreciate it and look forwards to resolving this.

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
Hmmm, sounds crazy. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be something with the COP's or injector harness. I know when I did my Whipple install, the initial start up took a few cranks and the car idled horribly! Did a little diagnosing and found that one of the injector harness clips did not fully engage so therefor that injector was not firing. I was running on 7 cylinders for a few seconds. The idle sucked and the car litterally shook because of the off balance condition it was producing. But one little click of the injector harness and I was back in business. So maybe there is a problem with one of your COP's not sending the signal to an injector or the clip on the injector harness is coming loose unexpectly but it is so close to being conected that the roughness of the idle sort of brings it back in place? I dunno. :shrug: Just brainstorming.

Maybe a dirty MAF?

Mike

Espo

lP ll llVll lP
Established Member
Yea, I didn't think about the MAF, I drove the car to work today, so later I will pull the MAF and check as well as check the injectors (well the ones I can get to easily).

Since Monday night, it has been fine, I drove it yesterday and to work today, and it is fine.

If it does it again, I will get a video. (hopefully it doesn't, knock on wood)

Espo

lP ll llVll lP
Established Member
I put 93 in it all the time, but the car sat for 6 months with the fuel in the tank, someone here at work told me to change the fuel filter. And a few people on ModularFords said to check the coil packs, plugs and IAC (pull it and clean it).

One problem, not too sure what the IAC is and where it is, let alone how to pull it and clean it.

BTW: No CELs when it happens either

best of both

Established Member
it could be something to do with the fuel rail pressure sensor...my friends kenne bell cobra has blown his out atleast 4 times now...its inline with the fuel rail right in front and it caused his car to misfire and all sorts of sh*t...bottom line ran like crap and is a known problem on these cars...dagostino has a disc that kenne bell sells thats supposedly to cure the problem if thats what it turns out to be....good luck

Espo

lP ll llVll lP
Established Member
Yes, I replaced it about 300 miles ago, it was acting up before. But the way you see if that is the problem, is if the car is idling rough and sputtering (like mine was doin) and you unplug the FRPS, it should fix it, and it didn't. Before when the FRPS was the problem, and I unplugged it, it would go back to idling fine. I do not believe that is the problem this time.

I am going to take the IAC off and clean it, check the plugs and coil packs, check the harnesses to the injectors and finally change my fuel filter.

This couldn't be a problem caused by the PCM (computer of the car) could it? My buddy's AWD Talon had a similar problem and it was his PCM, but it wasn't intermittent like mine is.

2003 SVT ROUSH

~SNAKE AND BAKE~
Established Member
hmm possibly like said one of the coils going bad ... ... at first i was going to say spark plug but then it comes and goes it sounds electrical oriented ( iv heard some cars when miss fire due to coils or sprak plugs failing making a knocking noise while idling). maybe your computer has a virus .... haha jk i would really look into those coils packs

MustangMikeKy

Whippled L
Established Member
Fuel Filter, FIPK leak, bad gas . . . all could be causes . . . just start checking things

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
I'd make sure your aif filter is on tight, even the smallest leak with that can cause problems. Other than that it looks like everything had been covered.

Koval7887

Established Member
if it were a misfire due to either a coil or an injector wiring fault, the check engine light should blink...did this occur when ur car ran rough? did the engine light come on at all? try having ur codes scanned by a top of the line obd2 reader, one that picks up not just epa related codes, but ALL engine codes, even the one that DO NOT spit the check engine light on. people will be surprised sometimes at what they'll find...good luck!!!...

Users who are viewing this thread