Weird noise from the rear?

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Today I noticed a new noise coming from I think the rear. What happens is if I put the car in neutral when coming to a stop just before it gets to stop there appears to be a slight clicking coming from the rear or back portion of the car. Sounds a bit like a ratchet wrench going in reverse. I does not do it every time and only when coasting in neutral as a slow speed. If it is in gear it does not happen. I am assuming it is from the rear end or trans but do not know if it is normal or something that needs to be checked. Any ideas?

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
No chance of slight clutch disc chattering? I had that with my Spec in neutral & also when sitting but the moment I applied slight upward clutch to take the slack off the discs it would go away. It is very slight ...got to listen for it..almost not noticeable with my McCleod when free spinning.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I would jack up the rear and spin the wheels by hand, listening for noises, and looking carefully at wheels and brakes for anything out of place. Heck, might be as simple as a piece of road debris stuck somewhere. Also check u-joints....

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Suspension mods? My rod ends (upper and lower arms) are worn out. They sure make a lot of noise because of that when not accelerating under load. Poly arms could make a noise if not grease properly too.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Guess it could be the clutch ticking. It is very slight and does not do it all the time. Just never noticed it until I let it come up to the stop in neutral. Rear suspension is BMR polu LCA, Relo brackets and panhard bar. It runs like a raped ape but just never heard this before.

Users who are viewing this thread