Weird little tag by radiator?

frank3si

Established Member
Hmmmm - this morning I was washing my Cobra and, while cleaning the front end, heard a noise like something was loose while I was washing around the chrome Mustang. I stuck my hand in just to the right of the pony, and felt to the right, where I found a dark grey metal tag hanging from a thin wire just in front of the radiator. It's on a thin wire almost like a twist-tie, and the tag is about the size of a business card, obviously machined with a hole stamped in it, with no markings on either side.:??: Anybody else find this little artifact???

Frank

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
I found that thing some time ago, never figured out what it was for............Must be there for a reason, since it must have cost a a whole penny or two to make and attach................

lifter213

Established Member
I found it also a few months ago when installing my intake. I have no idea what its for but i took it off. :shrug:

jjksutton

Rookie for Life
Established Member
It's a buck tag. A "thing" that gives the assemblers at the factory the info they need to put you car togther right. I took mine off and put it in a safe place. Not a big deal, just nice to have. I'd like to find the build sheet, but no luck.

frank3si

Established Member
So what, at some point info was attached to/hanging from this tag for use during the assembly? And then the info was discarded and the tag left behind? Just curious how it was used...

Frank

jjksutton

Rookie for Life
Established Member
The tag is just left there...I had one on my Expedition too. Some people collect them I think.

03snakerush

Established Member
Build sheet...

Hey JJKSUTTON- On the build sheet, try looking under the spare tire as well as under the matting itself that is under the spare tire- that's where I found mine! The wife thought I lost it when I started yelling:beer: Good luck!

Last edited:

SVT4ME

Established Member
Dumb question but if frank3si found it with no markings on either side how does anyone read it

jjksutton

Rookie for Life
Established Member
I guess I missed the "nothing on it" part. Extra buck tag??? That's about the same location it would be located though.

frank3si

Established Member
Yes, let me just confirm there is absolutely nothing on it - dark shadow grey on one side, DSG on the other ;-)

Frank

frank3si

Established Member
I'm worried, too, that it will void my warranty! :rollseyes

Frank

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
Originally posted by frank3si
Hmmmm - this morning I was washing my Cobra and, while cleaning the front end, heard a noise like something was loose while I was washing around the chrome Mustang. I stuck my hand in just to the right of the pony, and felt to the right, where I found a dark grey metal tag hanging from a thin wire just in front of the radiator. It's on a thin wire almost like a twist-tie, and the tag is about the size of a business card, obviously machined with a hole stamped in it, with no markings on either side.:??: Anybody else find this little artifact???

Frank

I have the same tag on mine... It's painted the same white color as my car... I wonder if it's a paint guide tag, so they paint the car the correct color? Or make sure that it was painted the correct color (after the fact)?

:shrug:

frank3si

Established Member
Interesting about the color variation - if they all match the car like that, maybe you hit on the answer!

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread