Weird Grind Sound at Start-up

Frid

Established Member
Ok, so one of my buddies brought up to my attention this weird grind sound when he cranks his car up. It shows it in this video I found on youtube. Anyone got any suggestions?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVyme1zToS8"]YouTube- 2001 Mustang Cobra[/ame]

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Normal start up valve train noise. Sound of bled down lifter(s) rattling before oil pressure can pump them back up.

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
I had that problem with my SVT Focus. The Starter wasn't retracing so when I started it it would always grind a bit. It could be your valve train but I highly doubt it because I don't get that out of my Cobra at all.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
It sounds like a leaf blower to me. If you're talking about the weird sound at 11s, I agree w/DarkcObra -- it sounds like the bendix may making some noise due to a slow retraction. Ask your buddy to put the camera under the starter motor (just for sound recording) and start it again. If he does that in several places under his car and the one under the starter has the highest volume, that may help him pinpoint the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread