Weird feeling in front end

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
***UPDATE: Go to post #39!!!

My car has only 7K miles; Front end is all stock.

Every time I back out the car and turn the wheels (left or right) on an incline, the front end feels like if something was loose. You can feel it on the steering wheel. I feel a "tunk tunk tunk" all the way as I turn the wheels to any side. Like tapping with a rubber hammer (no sound).

Dealer first replaced rack bushings, then tie rods, then the entire rack assembly, and then both lower control arms with bushings. I still have it.

I will not take it to the dealer again until I know for certain what the problem is.

Someone please help me. I know it's difficult to diagnose, only reading what I've written, but share your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Seabiscuit

GIDDY-UP!!!
Established Member
I personally do not know what it would be so---TTT for ya. Hopefully someone else will.

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
torquefreak said:
I have the same problem,and have only gotten the steering rack bushings replaced.

You have the exact same problem as I described? At last, someone knows what I'm talking about.

Are you sure is not the creak/squeak (sounds like an old door) when you turn the wheel at a complete stop? If so, your problem is the rack bolts sleeves that make the metal to metal sound. There is a new TSB for it.

Remember, I don't hear any sound at all. I just feel like if someone was tapping the firewall with a rubber hammer, or if something was loose.

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
MikeC said:
Power steering pump?

Doesn't sound to me like it.

But, you never know.

Tomorrow I will go under my car, have someone to move the steering wheel for me and will try to locate where that tap is coming from.

My neighbor is a tech at Ford, it would be great if I can have him take a look at it also.

I refuse to take it to the dealer until I know what the problem is first.

CobraNHYEE

Established Member
I have the same problem. It almost feels like a loose shock or wheel. Jacked the car up and tugged on all the suspension components and found nothing loose. Had my wife work the steering wheel while checking out the steering/suspension components and found nothing out of the ordinary. Gonna try and inspect it again.

torquefreak

Established Member
Remember, I don't hear any sound at all. I just feel like if someone was tapping the firewall with a rubber hammer, or if something was loose.[/QUOTE]

And It sounds like this when reversing straight or turning the wheel,Right?My driveway is on a incline and does exactly as your describing :whine: Sort-of feels like the ball-joint is popping in and out. :shrug:

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
torquefreak said:
And It sounds like this when reversing straight or turning the wheel,Right?My driveway is on a incline and does exactly as your describing :whine: Sort-of feels like the ball-joint is popping in and out. :shrug:

Exactly, it sounds like this when backing out either going straight or turning the wheel. But is more noticeable when turning the wheels.

vipergts281

Established Member
I believe I have the same sound you are talking about. Mine seems to do it though when I am coming to a stop. Within the last few feet before I stop, the front end makes a noise that sounds like something "suspension wise" is loose. It sort of sounds like what you described.....something hitting the firewall. I say that because it almost sounds like the noise that is made when you have your AC on and it makes that noise every once in awhile. It sounds somewhat similar to that noise, but it makes that noise several times, not just once like the AC noise.

Probably sounds crazy to someone who doesn't have the problem I do. :burnout:

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
vipergts281 said:
I believe I have the same sound you are talking about. Mine seems to do it though when I am coming to a stop. Within the last few feet before I stop, the front end makes a noise that sounds like something "suspension wise" is loose. It sort of sounds like what you described.....something hitting the firewall. I say that because it almost sounds like the noise that is made when you have your AC on and it makes that noise every once in awhile. It sounds somewhat similar to that noise, but it makes that noise several times, not just once like the AC noise.

Probably sounds crazy to someone who doesn't have the problem I do. :burnout:

You are correct! It sounds very similar to the A/C clunk, only it does it several times as you turn the wheels.

There seems to be a lot of people with this problem, and none of them has been able to find the fix. :fm:

Like I've said, I had my rack replaced, bushings, lower control arms and the problem persists. Could it be the struts?

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
Mine does it too, but I can mainly feel it rather that hear it. After having solid nylatron bushings in my rx-7 I am not too worried about it.

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
Oh Three Cobra said:
Mine does it too, but I can mainly feel it rather that hear it. After having solid nylatron bushings in my rx-7 I am not too worried about it.

Exactly, I feel it rather than hear it.

vipergts281

Established Member
WhiteSnake74 said:
You are correct! It sounds very similar to the A/C clunk, only it does it several times as you turn the wheels.

There seems to be a lot of people with this problem, and none of them has been able to find the fix. :fm:

Like I've said, I had my rack replaced, bushings, lower control arms and the problem persists. Could it be the struts?
Yes, there does seem to be alot of people with this problem.....kind of makes me feel better, lol.

Well since it sounds like the AC clunk (which someone found out awhile ago that noise is from the AC lines hitting the firewall when the compressor kicks on) then maybe the noise/feeling we are all experiencing has something to do with something hitting the firewall? :idea: :shrug:

pipeliner

Established Member
Everyone has the problem but no one looked into it at Ford?

Climb under the car, have a buddie do quick turns on the steering wheel. Dont go to full lock just short turns. Watch where the outter tierod end connects and see it it has play in it. It will be very suttle if it does. Like a small up and down movement. Car must be on the ground.

Next, watch the steering shaft going into the rack. Have buddie do the same thing. Watch for play in rack aasembly and shaft. Again car must be loaded on the ground.'

If that fails jack up front end. Push on tires top to bottom then left to right. See if has any play.

If still not sure, leave car jacked up and have buddie turn wheel again. See if anyplay is found in control arm bushings.

Users who are viewing this thread