Weird engine noise. Video inside.

hades_1

Established Member
96 Mustang Cobra N/A with 61K. I have been noticing a quieter engine and a noticable but not dramatic loss of power as well (it used to have a nice deep throaty sound, now it just sound like a Corolla ;S)

96 Cobra engine noise - YouTube

Sounds like maybe a vacuum leak? But there is something else, maybe some kind of electrical shortage (more noticeable when on the driver side)?
There is no smoke coming out of the exhaust and the car does smell like gas quite a bit when first turning it on, but it's always been like that.
I'll bring it to a shop on monday, but in the meantime I'd love some comments to (maybe?) appease my mind...

BTW when cold at idle, there is a ticking noise every second or so, but when hot, the ticking seems almost constant.
I'll try to make another video with a cold engine this week end.

Any help appreciated. All these problems I have been having recently are taking the fun out of driving that car :(

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
What you hear might be flat spots on your alternator bearings. Take the belt off and try to spin that alternator pulley and listen for a grinding sound.

Is this only on cold start?

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
Dude.. you have to unplug your vacuum cleaner first, we cant hear the motor lol. I concur.. sounds like a boogered up egr

hades_1

Established Member
Dude.. you have to unplug your vacuum cleaner first, we cant hear the motor lol. I concur.. sounds like a boogered up egr

Lol. It does sound like it doesn't it :D
I wish I could delete it, but I live in the no-car-fun-state(TM); aka Nazifornia.
That would be great if it was just that, I'll test it out tonight or tomorrow. Thanks a lot for the help (all of ya!)!

PS: the video was recorded with a warm engine, it does sound quite different when cold (I'll make another video when cold this week end if the EGR turns out to be ok).

hades_1

Established Member
Strangely enough when I turned the car on this morning, it didn't seem to make that noise. I'm sure it will still do it when warm though!

I tested the EGR but it looks like it's working fine going from 130 to 180V:

Data log, if interested. Sadly, there were a few engine misfires when the engine warmed up.
egr_test_08-06-13b.csv

hades_1

Established Member
I thought I would follow up on this: this was caused by a header leak (one gasket was toast, and the other one was just about to be).
Costed me $700 to fix at a shop (including replacing a thermostat that wasnt working but still; $700 wtf?)...

Noreast

Established Member
I thought I would follow up on this: this was caused by a header leak (one gasket was toast, and the other one was just about to be).
Costed me $700 to fix at a shop (including replacing a thermostat that wasnt working but still; $700 wtf?)...

Do you have Longtubes?

danielson631

Established Member
i think my car did that even after i delete the egr system.

then i put breather caps on my valve covers and capped the pcv valve and i think it stopped

i also changed my alternator around the same time so maybe it could be that.

so this post was really pointless but im subscribing to see what it turns out to be lol.

hope you get it solved!

Users who are viewing this thread