Weird electrical issue. Please help

bmxr152

SvT 4 LiFE
Established Member
So i bought a 03 cobra finally after years of wanting one. So i brought it back to the shop, adjusted the pivot ball that was wrong for the t56 magnum and fixed a bunch of wiring with the battery relocation. So the problem that im having is that the speedo and tach go crazy when i do a wide open pull. Basically they die and then when i let of after a second they go back to normal. The car runs good still when this happens. Could this be a ground issue or maybe and bad alternator? I removed the WOT box that was installed too and still the same issue.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
I remember having a similar issue. Not positive but thought it had something to do with the alternator not charging my battery enough in the upper RPM's, like past 5K rpms

bmxr152

SvT 4 LiFE
Established Member
Do you remember the voltage? I am seeing voltage drop to around 12.6 in the higher rpm range. it looks like it has some parts store crap alternator, but i dont want to throw a PA alternator at it if that is not the issue. Im on a stock lower with a 2.76 upper. Looks to be stock alternator pulley as well.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Do you remember the voltage? I am seeing voltage drop to around 12.6 in the higher rpm range. it looks like it has some parts store crap alternator, but i dont want to throw a PA alternator at it if that is not the issue. Im on a stock lower with a 2.76 upper. Looks to be stock alternator pulley as well.

If you're reading voltage through the OBD2 check the battery with a meter while it's idling and compare against the gauge. It's pretty standard for the gauge to read at least .3 lower than actual for some reason. Either way, 13 volts @ WOT is getting on the low side and pump volume can really start to fall off

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
If you're reading voltage through the OBD2 check the battery with a meter while it's idling and compare against the gauge. It's pretty standard for the gauge to read at least .3 lower than actual for some reason. Either way, 13 volts @ WOT is getting on the low side and pump volume can really start to fall off
All of this. Plus ignition loses out too which will highlight a weak coil that would normally work ok.

Mine actually reads .4-.5 lower through the obd2. Mid 13s and up is what you want though.

Last edited:

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Oh yeah the whole thing would have all the tachs simultaneously reset, like go to their max setting and all the way to 0. I've since upgraded alternators (unnecessary I THINK) and more importantly I had a trunk mount battery that was grounded to the THIN trunk metal. I've since taken it to the frame of the car AND added a few grounds to my engine block

bmxr152

SvT 4 LiFE
Established Member
Oh yeah the whole thing would have all the tachs simultaneously reset, like go to their max setting and all the way to 0. I've since upgraded alternators (unnecessary I THINK) and more importantly I had a trunk mount battery that was grounded to the THIN trunk metal. I've since taken it to the frame of the car AND added a few grounds to my engine block
Okay maybe I need to do that too. I have the battery in the trunk setup like that. Did you go to the rear frame area or all the way to the front?

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Yeah just found a nice spot directly on the frame where a bolt had been removed. The bolt removed was somewhere near the rear passenger tire frame area. Just any bolt that's on the frame will do. There's a perfect spot on the passenger trunk side to run a thick 2 gauge black ground wire through this hole to the frame.

bmxr152

SvT 4 LiFE
Established Member
Well i fixed the issue with some extra ground cables from the battery in rear to the quad shock mount and one from the motor to the sway bar mount. I still have an alternator on the way since its a parts store one but all seems good now!

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I had the same issues. I put a 200amp alternator and a wiring upgrade and never had a problem since

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Right on that's awesome. I think my tuner Malcolm was actually the one that pointed me in the right direction with all that. I haven't had it happen since either knock on wood.

Users who are viewing this thread