Weird E-Brake Behavior

Imatk

Established Member
I just had to have my car valet parked. I don't ever do valet because I don't want people driving my car, but it was at a hotel in a city I wasn't familiar with and it was mandatory valet (no self parking.)

Anyway... the valet parked my car.

This morning I was leaving and I noticed that the E-Brake was very "loose" I noticed this when I started to drive the brake seemed to be dragging.

I pulled up on the E-Brake slightly and there was NO tension on the brake.

The rear brakes were dragging and I was about to turn around and complain, but realized that would probably not help me since they wouldn't be able to fix it anyway and would probably have argued that they didn't do it.

ANYWAY... I drove about a block and the brakes seemed to free up once I actually applied the brakes (not by using the e-brake but the brake pedal)

So I drove 200 miles back home and when I got here pulled up on the E-Brake to see if it was still loose and it was like it had fixed itself?

Tension is normal as it was before so I'm not sure what happened or if I even need to try and fix it at this point.

Anyone have the same thing happen?

My guess is the Valet yanked the brake really hard and popped something loose... but now it's back to normal?

Anyway, any insight would be appreciated.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
How often do you use the parking brake? Sounds like something was sticking in the caliper. They may have pulled it further than you do and it got stuck, or you don't use them enough. Hard to say, but if they returned to normal, I doubt there's any damage done.

Imatk

Established Member
I use it all the time, but I don't have to pull it more than a few clicks before it's completely secure. I think the valet yanked the hell out of it when he used it.

Users who are viewing this thread