Weird buzzing in dash

webgirlsarefun

Established Member
VERY ANNOYING, and it just started. It's very loud and happens every time I start my car.

First, it's not related to any of the plastic pieces in my dash...as far as I can tell. I've jimmied them around and it doesn't help.

Also not related to my vents....sound is there with air/heat on or off.

Goes away at high rpms...and when in neutral and I rev it up, the pitch of the buzz increases. When I shut the car off and the engine has completely has stopped, the buzz "winds down" until it stops, too.

Any ideas? I really don't have to want to rip apart my dash...

Thanks!

Dana

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by webgirlsarefun
VERY ANNOYING, and it just started. It's very loud and happens every time I start my car.

First, it's not related to any of the plastic pieces in my dash...as far as I can tell. I've jimmied them around and it doesn't help.

Also not related to my vents....sound is there with air/heat on or off.

Goes away at high rpms...and when in neutral and I rev it up, the pitch of the buzz increases. When I shut the car off and the engine has completely has stopped, the buzz "winds down" until it stops, too.

Any ideas? I really don't have to want to rip apart my dash...

Thanks!

Dana

loose heat shield on a cat? get underneath and tap on the heat shields to see if any are loose....

mikey99cobra

Established Member
OMG!! i thought all this time i was the only one. It sounds like its coming from behind the dash on mine. when i turn the car off it kinda wines down and stops after the car is off. i know exactly what you talking about. I have no idea how to fix it. Its not the cats cause i have an o/r x pipe. If anybody knows how to fix this please tell us. its really embarassing when you got friends in the car and the car buzzes at you when you turn it off.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Hey hey, make that three of us. My shit box does the same thing. Let us know what anyone find outs.

-Brett

SLOWBRA

Established Member
I'd like to hear your car Mike to listen to it...

Maybe we can figure it out!

"SNAKIE"

Established Member
u guys sure its not stereo related? I get that buzz too and when i turn off the power of the stereo it turns off. Happens every now and then. Maybe a loose ground:shrug:

mikey99cobra

Established Member
it is not the stero. its something mechanical behind the dash. i want to tear into my dash to find out what it is someday but mine is a daily driver and i cant afford the down time.

01mnrelgraycbra

Established Member
I've had my cobra in for service 3 times so far for this problem. So far this is what I've learned. First trip was debris in the AC fan. Second trip they decided that the fan needed replacing. On the third trip, they replaced the fan with a newly designed fan. Not twenty minutes later the problem was back. So I guess another trip to the shop next week. At least she’s still under warranty.

moonltgold

Yeah, I got it too. When I first turn the car off, it's an electrical buzz that lasts about 5 seconds and winds down. But that's the only time I hear it. It sounds like it's in the steering column area where it meets the dash. I have no idea what causes it.
Moonlt
'01 Cobra

stang2009

Banned
i have the same buzz too...except mine is my stereo. there is nothing at all when i turn it on/off...but once i turn the system on, it goes absolutly crazy...weird & don't have time to go in and fix it.

2FST4GM

Established Member
I have a squeek where the windshield meets the dash. I'm not sure if this is the same sound you guys have. I was able to pin point mine to be the cowl between the hood and the windshield. I found it by accident one day while washing my car when I ran my hand over the cowl while drying the car. If I tap on it, sometimes I can make the sound appear. Maybe when your cars are shutting down, they are vibrating the car in just the right way to make that same sound.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
I hear that same buzzing sound on my 03. It didnt use to do it, but the past few months it has. Actually, only since its been cold does this happen. Has anyone listened inside the engine compartment while the car is being turned off for this noise?

djtech

Established Member
LOL... i love hearing responses from bringing the car in. replacing parts and all gotta love ford service ;)

the sound I hear makes me think of a bearing grinding in a fan.

it's the pcv valve. i'm still looking for air-filter like replacements that fit in the pcv hole. i've been to 3 autozones and no one has the right size

99SVTCOBRA202

Established Member
Yep - it's the PCV valve - bring your VIN to the Ford dealer so you get the right valve. (Ford changed the design)

Fixed mine a few years back

No more buzz

CobraGirlSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by djtech

it's the pcv valve. i'm still looking for air-filter like replacements that fit in the pcv hole. i've been to 3 autozones and no one has the right size

Yep, I have the same sound coming from my pcv valve. I replaced it with one from Kragen, but I swear it's even worse now.

Users who are viewing this thread