Weight Under IRS?

Wease

I Love Beavers
Established Member
Since about the time I installed my Mac catback, I've been hearing a squeaking noise when the rear moves around a lot; going over bigger bumps, etc. I figured when I installed the catback, I didn't get it right, so it's rubbing against something. I get it up today and sure enough, it's rubbing on a big weight that's under the IRS. It was held in only by two bolts, so I removed it, and presto, the squeak is gone. Now, I know this isn't the best solution to get rid of the squeek, but I really don't feel like removing most of the catback to get it right. Being a 3", it fits kinda tight in there in some places anyway.

My question is, what is this weight for? Is it there because the front end of this car is so much heavier and this helps the weight distribution, even just a little bit? Or is it there for some other reason? I just want to know if it's a major problem with it being off. Otherwise I'll have to drop the catback again and try harder to get it aligned right. Call me lazy, but the squeek is gone and I'm happy about that... :)

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
its a chassis tuning device. if you look under a mercedes benz they hang weights all over to get the resonant frequency of the chassis where they want it. its part of why they feel and sound solid as a bank vault.

its an NVH thing, not a performance thing. its ballast.

Users who are viewing this thread